1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

exhaust/waste gate flange fabrication question and pix

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 280zex, Feb 22, 2009.

1. 280zex

I decided to fabricate my own exhaust/waste gate flange for a Garrett t3/t4. The stock internal waste gate was well wasted and I would rather run an external wg. My question is will the flange I fabbed hold up?? Its mild 304c steel .255 in thick. I'm not shure of 2 things.. 1 warpage. its not as thick as the cast flange. 2 I'm planning on using an external wg by welding pipe onto the flange in the stock internal wg location hole. Its 5/8 inch in dia. I'm thinking about not enough waste gas bypass..Any input would be grately appreciated...

2. Racinjason81

3/8s to a 1/2 inch would be better at resisting warpage.what size gate are you gonna use ? match it to the flange size probably like 1.25 inches for a 38mm gate