1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Exhaust sizing revisited: primary vs collector vs merge vs turbo flange

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 96mustang460cid, Nov 9, 2007.

1. 96mustang460cid

I have a 460 BBF that's getting a TV8101 turbo. Currently, the engine is N/A and ~550 hp. The engine will have new bottom end with lower compression and a milder camshaft. From my old engine, I'll be re-using my aluminum heads.

Assuming perfectly steady state conditions:
    The area of (4) 1.75" primary tubes is 9.62 in^2. This leads to a crossover/collector with a diameter of 3.5 in (9.62 in^2). Next, a merge will combine the two 3.5" (total area of 19.24 in^2) to a 5" diameter tube (19.63 in^2). Now this merge goes into the T-6 turbo flange (2.3" x 4" flange = 12.6" circumference). A 5" pipe has a circumference of 15.7" which is too large for the T6 flange. The best fit for the T6 flange is a 4" pipe (12.56" circumference). This is completely ignoring any cooling/contraction of the exhaust gases. This leads to my question ---->

Has anybody taken temperature measurements at increments from the engine to headers to collector to crossover to merge to turbo? With some temperature readings, I can design for a steady velocity (my goal). I want to design the exhaust as efficiently as possible by minimizing the velocity and shape/size changes throughout the system. Because I'm building it from scratch, there is very little cost difference between "right' and "wrong" :D.

Discuss...

Have a good day!
    Michael

Edit: Clarification...