1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Exhaust leaks... checking head exhaust port for

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by xxfastangxx, Jun 20, 2014.

1. xxfastangxx

I just had my headers resurfaced by Brian, and he had to add material to certain spots because they were so warped. My thinking is, if the thick steel manifold warped, wouldn't the aluminum head warp that much easier?

Since it is a port, there is no way to get a true measurement on if the head is warped or not.

Trying to figure out if I should go gasketless with RTV and header studs, or use my remflex with bolts. I am afraid my head may be warped on the exhaust side.

Thoughts?

2. Rickracer

It's HIGHLY unlikely that the head could warp anywhere near as much as the header, too much material there to wick away the heat, and too much structure to allow it to move much. You should be able to hold a straight edge against the ports, and see if you can get a thin feeler gauge, (.004") in between, if you can, then there is some warpage.

3. xxfastangxx

At what point would just RTV not seal?

4. Rickracer

That would depend on several factors, (heat, pressure, size of gap), but I'd say anything under .010"~.015", RTV would work fine.