1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Excessive exhaust smoke

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by JR57, Oct 22, 2017.

1. JR57

Four months ago I bought a 2009 Mazda CX-7 with 91,000 miles (turbocharged.) I noticed since the weather got colder, the car is blowing a lot more smoke out of the exhaust pipes in the morning. But when I run the car later in the day - not much smoke. I did research and found excessive smoke out of the exhaust on a turbocharged car could indicate turbo failure. But the engine sounds fine and has good performance. Should I be worried or just being paranoid? I plugged in the OBDll code reader and it said, "No Codes."

2. B E N

What color is the smoke?

3. JR57

Like regular exhaust smoke. Can hardly see it at all in the daytime. But a bit white.

4. tbird

Sounds like moister burn off. You get more as it gets colder out.

JR57 likes this.