1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

equal or unequal length?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by botietr, Feb 13, 2005.

1. botietr

on a turbo setup which header would make more power or does it matter?i see alot of people use unequal shorties but was just wondering if anyone ever did a test to see which one made more power

2. mustangguy72

Everything matters, but to what extent is the true question. Equals should make more power, but I wouldn't think by much. Keep in mind the exhaust from the heads to turbo(s) is being restricted by design. CFM for CFM, equal or unequal should be very close.

3. TurboNova

Headers

I have done alot of dyno time with headers, the benifit is very minimal. I am sure if you had the best combo, equal intake runners, equal headers and the proper cam for both then you would see a difference. I tried three totally different headers on a 434, different tube sizes, lengths and designs. One header was a foot longer than the other two and the change between them was 1 HP or 1 FT/LB of torque. It really doesn't matter especially a turbo engine.

What does matter is that you have a big enough tube to get the exhaust out of the engine at high boost. If you do not you will see that at some point you can turn up the boost and make no more power.

4. botietr

Thanks for the replies,
    i was thinking it might be too much or enough to make that much of a difference also.