1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Time to Start this 2v DIY

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Samhain, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Samhain

I am going to start my build of a 01 gt

Ive been buying parts starting in March 05. This is what I have so far
    Holset H1C
    Waste gate 40mm
    Exhaust / Intake pipes
    Various exhaust parts
    T-3 flange
    3" vband and flange
    Air filter
    MAF 90mm 03 Cobra
    BOV
    4" alum. Intake pipe
    2x 4in. Silicone couplers
    5x 3in Silicone couplers
    4in-3in & 3in-2in Silicone reducers
    Worm Clamps
    Walbro 255lph pump
    A/F Gauge
    Boost Gauge
    Manual boost controller
    MIL eliminators
    Oil drain flange
    (2x) 1/2 Npt to 3/4 barb
    Series of hydro hoses for pluming and oil
    And some other little crap items.

Total dollars spent so far are 574.93 plus 134.12 in shipping or tax. Most of the stuff is brand new!! And I still need an intercooler, steeda timing adjuster, fuel injectors and meth injection. Im shure that I will need some other little shit during the build.

2. Samhain

Im going to start the fitment of the hot side and vband to the downpipe flange this week. Stay posted.

3. dman

cool, keep the pics coming and let me know if you need some encouragement!

4. MagicBus

Curious what your doing for headers, and will the stock K member stay? Where do you plan on turbo placement?
    Be sure to take pictures along the way.

5. Samhain

Hell, Im going to need some more parts. But your just down the street eh Dman. lol,

6. Samhain

Im going to leave the stock k-mem for now and run the system under the k. 2001 mustang sits up like a truck!! No seriously im going to use the stock logs and k untill I can have some headers fabed up and tubular k installed. I may mount the turbo slightly lower than normal to take advantage of the air movement in the bottom of the engine compartment on modulars. Today I found out that Advance autoparts sells cheap flex radiator hoses. So near the airfilter location is not out of the question.

7. Samhain

Wen. im going to smooth out the vband flange on the turbine and weld on a new one. Also I will get the car up in the air and do a quick once over to check some mesurements.

8. Samhain

oh yea the old vband flange

9. usnlightning

With all those parts on the dinner table you are either a confirmed bachelor or have one hell of an understanding wife.

10. MagicBus

Time to build this, along with the parts on the table, Im willing to bet, not the later..:D

Gota watch this thread, im curious to see how you go about this, with the stock K member and stock manifolds.. Should be good info. And be sure to take pics!

11. Samhain

my wife is very pumped to help. She loves Stangs and gos to all of the Ford Fun weekends with me. She loves the smell of rubber and the burn of alky. I got her a new table so i put that one in my guy room for the display and storage. I am confident that the stock logs can be swaped. The stock K is only there so I can get it running. After a K-mem is purchased I will do the hot side over (chances are I will be a better welder/fab the second time around)
    However I am going to keep the idea of running the exhaust out the back of the engine and 180 to the front.

12. NCGT

heres my encouragement!.. looking forward to watching this, because soon (if this GP on t70s ever works out) Ill be starting a similar build on a 2000.. I have an aftermarket k though so..

Good luck!

13. MagicBus

Yea, I have also thought about copying the Hellion kit, in the sence that the stock manifolds loop 180* back up front.. Seems simple enough with an aftermarket K member, but well see how it turns out with the stock piece. Glad to see more DIY modulars coming out.

14. Samhain

Darin, email sent.

Well, I welded a 3in v-band to the turbo and went though the build in my head again. I also got my MIL eliminators mounted up. (Pics on Sat) Made some measurments. Tomorrow im going to spend most of the day test fitting some of the hot-side, pick up some parts from Auto-Zone, and install the 255lph pump.

15. Samhain

well I got some work done today, started on the hot side. these pics are test fitting. I worked on the fitment some more and relocated the brace under the transmission for some ground clearence. Finished up the welding and its coming along great!!

It looks like im going to shuffle some things in the engine bay to get it all to fit. I got frustraded from time to time but near the end of the day I started really moving. I am waiting for some parts, tomorrow I am going to clean up the engine bay.

16. Samhain

17. Samhain

V-band welded up.
    notice the little turbo to the left.

18. MagicBus

looks good so far, I wish I could go this route, but I live in an apartment complex with some brutal speed bumps:(

19. Samhain

yea, I figured that if I dont lower my car, I should be fine. Also I was considering ovalizing the tubing that goes under the k. Just like the oval tubes dr gas sells. Just for sake of saying, this is also my daily driver and after hacking up my o/r h. I used some couplers to put the h back on after working on it.

20. Samhain

Today I cleaned up the engine bay. Really all I did was move some ac lines and eyeballed the turbo placement. The turbo will be mounted near the airbox location.