1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo mounting preference

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Uglystang, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Uglystang

Hey guys, I'm swapping out the Chinese Gt35 wanna bees for some real t72 turbos. I wanted to know if there was any benefit to forward facing or inward facing type of mounting. The car is only a toy and always has a hood on. The old gt35 turbos faced forward but now that the compressor housings are a lot larger they can't bolt back on in the same location. Engine is 408w with tfs heads, bullet cam, DIY blow through 750, if the turbos are going to be covered and under hood is it strictly a mount it so it fits , functions, and oil drains back to sump without issue type of task?

2. 20psiofevil

I'd like to know this as well. Should the compressor face the front, rear, right, or left? It seems for a passenger side mount you'd get the most velocity facing the compressor left or right.

3. Jo Diesel

The oil drain needs to be on the bottom and you need to be able to plumb it. It needs to be mounted so it fits.

4. Uglystang

I am well aware of the oil drain and cartridge clocking, I just wanted to know if the turbos performed better facing a specific direction in relation to the engine, I chose option B and mounted so the plumbing would be easier. We might have it driveable by Saturday, hopefully these comp turbos do the trick.

5. Mnlx

I don't think it really makes much difference.... the turbo will make up for any small gains made by the "ram air" effect (if any, especially if you run a filter). It has been said that even the front mounted thru the bumper gain little to no hp. It all comes down to ease of mounting, and plumbing.

6. Gen1SVE

Cold air is key. It is easier to compress and build boost compared to air pulled from the engine bay.

7. Mnlx

This ^^^^ I wasn't even thinking about temp.

8. Uglystang

I have both turbos facing inward instead of forward so that my down pipes can exit thru fender in front of tire, i am in process of making inlet pipes so filters can sit in fog light holes, and plumbing up the air to air cooler I will be playin at track next Friday night