1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

First time out with Garrett GTX5018R

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by trbo50, Apr 2, 2014.

1. trbo50

I would like to share some results from my first
    outing with a pair of Garret GTX5018R. This is a brand new turbo introduced by
    Turbo by Garrett in 2014 to fill the gap between the 47 series and 55 series.
    The GTX5018R is a direct bolt in replacement of the GT4788 or GTX4718R. Once
    bolted to the exiting T6 flange position, the compressor inlet and exhaust lined
    up in the exact same location. I had great success with my pair of 88mm GT4788
    journal bearing setup with 0.96 AR on a 420ci SBF with Brodix Neal heads prior
    to this upgrade. At 3150 lbs on 315 radials, my best time was
    This content is protected
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/9jxZ0DyhR_8 out here on
    west coast tracks. There is nothing exotic with my motor combo. No center
    counter weight crank, 8 year old Brodix BF200 heads. After purchasing the car,
    Jason Pettis of Pettis Performance put his touches and specs to deliver the
    reliability and performance we have achieved so far. I ran the motor for 2
    seasons before a basic freshen up. My sponsor this year Turbo by Garrett
    reviewed my run data and suggested a pair of their new GTX5018R with 1.23 AR.
    This past weekend with our first outing with the new turbos, we were rewarded
    with our personal best of
    This content is protected
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...76316632413996
    with the same amount of boost as our previous GT4788. Even with the bigger AR
    and larger turbine wheel of the GTX5018R, the spool up time decreased by 1/2 sec
    and the ramp/response of the boost off the brake improved significantly. It took
    60 psi of CO2 pressure plus a 5 lbs spring to make 41 psi on the GT4788, now
    with the GTX5018R, it only takes 45 psi to make 42 psi of boost. The 4.38 pass
    was only the 2nd true pass with the new turbos so we were still conservative in
    the boost ramp and I believe the peak boost these new turbos make will exceed
    the strength of my motor. I am extremely impressed with the results so far and
    looking to improve further in the season of racing. Please follow me on https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trbo5...2413996?ref=hl
    if you are interested in our progress.

Thanks for our sponsor:

Turbo By Garrett