1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Engine oil cooler setups

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbostang500, Mar 30, 2014.

1. turbostang500

I am building a friends 06' wrx since it popped a ring land off the stock pistons.

While in the garage checking the crank, we started discussing oil coolers. His wrx comes with a normal oem style oil cooler sandwiched between the block and filter and has coolant running through it. He wants to go to a different setup that uses its own heat exchanger up front. All of the kits that we have seen swap a new sandwich plate in place of the old coolant plate and has 2 hose connections to go to and from the cooler. This setup looks to me like 100% of engine oil is ran through the cooler and if there are any problems or it isn't big enough to flow unrestricted, the engine would be starved of oil.

Does this idea of a cooler setup sound ok (correct) to you guys? I keep looking at it and wondering if we should find a way to run oil to the cooler from the end of a galley plug or something.

These coolers are running -10 fittings and people on the subie sites say their oil pressure drops if they run less (no shit if the whole engine is supplied after the cooler)

Looking for opinions and wondering if I am over thinking this to much.

2. turbostang500

Bump, bump

3. daveczrn

as long as there is enough oil there should be no problem the problem comes way in the pump is starved for oil.we'll pressure will Build rapidly so it will get to the engine parts it needs to rather quickly