1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

electronic fuel pressure gauge

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Weesers, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Weesers

what is everyone running? the mechanical ones are cheap but i dont like the idea of routing gas all over my engine bay. the electric ones look expensive. could i run an electronic oil pressure setup and get the same results? not sure if they are precise enough to get a 1psi increase to show up.

2. Jeremy

Autometer electrical in the car and a summit mechanical on the rail underhood. They read 2-3psi different.

3. Hemann

I ran the Autometer electric for quite a few years.

4. Weesers

thanks for the replies guys. think im just gonna duct tape my phone under the hood for a couple runs to make sure its doing what its supposed to.

5. leeperryracing

I've been using -4 steel braided lines with AN fittings for years with mech fp gauges, never ruptured or came apart.....mech gauges are waayy more accurate too, either they work well or they don't period, not finicky like the electric ones.

6. Rickracer

Another vote for mechanical, if AN is too expensive, use steel tubing, OEM manufacturers have been using it for DECADES.

7. 65ShelbyClone

There are also several isolators available for mechanical fuel pressure gauges. I plan to make my own for an oil pressure gauge.

I don't think an electric oil pressure gauge would be suitable. Most are only 90° sweep and my Sport-Comp has increments that are 15psi apart.

8. pavementpounder

I have both,
    I have an cheap no name electric pressure sender halve way the fuel line and a Autometer mechanical gauge at the end on my pressure regulator and twin Walbros intank pumps.
    The electric shows 3 psi higher then the mechanical but then there is about 2.5 feet fuel line between them.

9. 91turboterror

Like someone mentioned before a mechanical gauge & an isolator kit so you don't have fuel everywhere in the drivers compartment if it fails.

10. Ghosthorse

I have the autometer electric fuel pressure and also a small mech gauge. as every one else said their is a 2-3 psi difference. I use the electric one in the car to make sure that my boost ref regulater is doing what it should. when i step on the gas, so the fuel pressure goes up. so far I have had good luck with this set up.