1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Electric Water Pumps

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by BigDan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BigDan

So things are coming around these days with electric water pumps and the warranty they are giving now are pretty good too. I'm thinking about tossing the stock water pump on my 4.8L LS based engine and going to a remote style electric pump. I will be building custom brackets for all my acc anyway and having the remote style will give me more room right where I need it since the twin's exhaust will dump right in front of the motor, which since I'm not dropping the truck will still have plenty of room underneath. The Meziere pumps have quite a few options and most likely what I will be using [55gph model].

My question is, are any of you using either style of pump on your street driven vehicles?

2. TurboComet

A close friend of mine used the Meziere 55 GPH remote model on a 535 cubic inch Pontiac nitrous combination in a 3,400 pound street-driven Trans Am. The rest of the cooling system consisted of a dual-pass two-core aluminum radiator (31" x 19") and a dual Flex-a-Lite shrouded electric fan assembly. The engine would run as cool as 140 degrees on the street. He had to install a variable speed controller on the fans just to get the engine to come up to temperature. The whole system worked really, really well, and was very dependable.

3. BigDan

Thanks Pete.

4. 70GTO

Very good feedback Pete. Makes me feel good about my setup.

I am setting up my 555 ci T/T Pontiac with the radiator tank mount, dual outlet 55 gph Meziere. Ron Davis fabbed a custom sized 2 pass radiator for me. The core is larger than the factory radiator, tanks and all. I have a pair of 2 speed Derale 17" fans mounted in the shroud. The new radiator is on the right side in the pic.

The other radiator is a factory sized (for 68-72 A body) Ron Davis with 2 16" spal fans. Its for sale.

Here in the Phoenix area we have 4-5 months where it can be very warm. 100 degrees at night, so over killing the cooling system is not a bad idea.
    There will also be a pair of intercoolers in front of the radiator, but there will be an air gap.

engine_side.jpg #ad

5. 70GTO

duplicate post.

Last edited: May 29, 2015