1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

modular motor bellhousing print

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by ashford, Jul 17, 2022.

1. ashford

im looking for a mod motor bellhousing print so i can make a midplate. so far i think i have found one for every engine in existence except the mod motor. so far i have measured 3 starter index plates and get different values for each, just too flimsy.

2. ashford

really the only critical measurements for a midplate is the dowel holes and starter hole placement.
    i mounted the reid bellhousing in the mill and centered the quill on all the holes. the pump hole is .012 out of round and measurement between dowel holes is .010 off from what i measured on the engine. if i unbolt the bell from the mill it slides right on the motor. frusterating the thing warps when bolted down.

measuring the dowl pin distance i used a verneer caliper and got 15.595. then made a gauge block stackup to 15.6 and it measured 15.603. if i subtract the average of the dowel diameters and caliper error it comes out to 14.9614 or 380.0196mm. really close to a nominal metric number. this is on a brand new 7.3. i measured an old teksid block and it is about .0015" shorter than the godzilla. so i think is is safe to assume 380mm is the print distance between dowels. and using the bell measurement for the starter in relation to the one dowel hole should be close enough to get a good midplate.

Russell likes this.