1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

building a shop out of pallets.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by nos10racer, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nos10racer

so since i am a tight ass i figured this is the best way to do it. here is one i am baseing my build on :D

been collecting them for a while so i will hopefully get started this week

TonyUtterbackShed-1.jpg #ad

TonyUtterbackShed-3.jpg #ad

TonyUtterbackShed-6.jpg #ad

2. RI85GT

Ummmmm, no thanks.

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

4. nos10racer

5. mfpmax

Funny thing about this...

...one of our new neighbors(we live next to some property that has several tenets I guess?) has a business where they do something with pallets...and by pallets...I mean a entire semi trailer flat bed with pallets full...stacked 10 feet high or so.

You'd be able to make a 2 car garage out of the amount of pallets they have.

6. nos10racer

that would be awesome !!

7. Mr. Dew

I see nothing wrong with this. A 2 X 4 is the same no matter where you get it. I think this is actually a pretty darn good idea. Just think if you stuffed some insulation in the sections... They are double sided you are already half way there. Anyways, looks like a good cheap way to make a shed. Its not like dude is trying to build the Taj Mahal or anything... Just a place to put the damn mower that isn't in the garage.

8. MONTEGOD7SS

Do you attach them with just nails/screws, or use plates like hurricane straps?

9. blown385

:dito:

10. stangman9897

Would make a good place to store a bunch of ebay turbos. :D

11. nos10racer

:ras:

i spit cereal on my laptop when i read this hahahahah

12. stangman9897

If i tried to put something like that in my back yard the HOA would run me off in about two days. The building i built in my back yard i had to submit plans stating size / hight and color , which had to match the color of the house and the same color shingles. They can be real assholes.

13. nos10racer

i was kinda thinking about the code inspector but my back yard is pretty hidden and all my neighbors seem cool. so i doubt any one will call or see.

but the thought has crossed my mind. i will just say its a dog house or something. lol.

14. RI85GT

As someone who builds sheds, additions, and a few houses...... I can honestly say..... this is EXACTLY why there are codes.

People think it's perfectly fine to cobble together structures with crap, and call it a building. the fact that they aren't trying to build the "Taj Mahal".... is irrelevant. If the neighbors kid runs in there when that POS folds in on itself.... who will be responsible?
    2x4's are one piece and cut to length (the proper length hopefully). Plates, studs, jack studs, headers, joist & joist hangers, etc... are designed for a reason. They compliment each other and when combined correctly, and triangulated with a sheathing, create a very sold structure.

Pallets on the other hand, which I get everyday from various deliveries, are made with reject wood (yes, the wood deemed useless for building), vaguely cut to length, nailed together with "lowest bidder" 2 penny nails, and lacks ANY triangulation. They are ussualy VERY heavy for their size, and are specifically designed for downward load support. That "shed" would be SOOO damn heavy, it is it's own worst enemy. Honestly, it sets a piss poor example for others.......

That bridge further down the page however, that seems to be build very well. Funny, they didn't make out of pallets eh? :rolleyes:

15. blown385

I see your point .

Just like people that have pools around here and keep their gates open . :stupid:

16. mfpmax

A quick pic from just now

pallets.jpg #ad

17. PrecisionTurboMustang

We can't keep pallet's together at work, let alone building a structure out of them.

18. nos10racer

you could build a house with that !

19. Traction Issuez

No, just you

20. livefast1

Better than mud and sticks i guess. . . . . . . . i guess.