1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

EGT gauge install question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 91Trunkster, Mar 1, 2018.

1. 91Trunkster

6609408D-7354-4EA0-B570-C4B38A8F5316.jpeg #ad
    So I’m starting to work on my gauges and I have bungs welded pre and post intercooler that I’ll be doing a Intake Temp gauge on and I also have two extra bungs by my widebands, I’d like to install and EGT gauge here in the downpipe, would that be a complete waste of time, I will not install one on the header, I’m too far along in the build to take the header off.

Picture of the setup, the IAT and EGT gauges would replace the two white gauges in the pic, those are just there for mock up. Also check out where I mounted my widebands and ethanol content gauge, was scary drilling holes in a perfect black dash, I think they’ll bug me forever as the gauges slope a tiny bit I think.

2. Forcefed86

All data is good IMO. But the EGT isn’t super relevant setup to setup.

The temperature it reports will vary a ton depending on placement and each specific setup. So if Bills setup blew a HG at 1200*F you may be able to run 1500* before popping yours… Or yours could pop at 900*. Without running it to failure you won’t have any do not cross lines is my point.

It is good for watching temperature variations vs tune up changes. If you see a big jump at say 23* timing VS 21* for example

3. Mnlx

X2. They can be semi useful after you have a baseline via plugs, but not worth the effort imo except for possibly cyl to cyl tuning in which you'd need 8 probes in the headers.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018