1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tech. question about timing retard and footbrake boost.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by essinem4130, Sep 20, 2004.

1. essinem4130

Posted this in another thread of mine, but thought there may be a bit more insight in here.

Heres one for you tech. type guys...

Its hard to leave hard on a footbrake due to the lack of boost... But how about this...

Using a 2 step set a couple hundred RPM below the stall speed of the converter, and run a nitrous timing retard box on the same switch as the 2 step... This way when you bring the car up to the lights, you hit the 2 step, it pulls timing, pops the limiter (building more boost) then due to the lack of timing (0* if possible) it pours fuel into the exhaust which ignites and spools the turbo... It would make all kinds of boost, but no power, so the car shouldnt want to creep forward, no?

Will this work, and has anyone tried it or know anyone who has tried it??

2. seirra

hard on exhaust headers and turbo

3. essinem4130

Yes but if you need to do it to get any decent 60' times and win the class (average payout of $1500) then I think I can swing a $5 weld every now and then or a $700 turbo once a season.

4. ShaneH

BS. It's commonplace to do something such as this. It doesn't hurt the turbo at all.

5. my8950

yep, I agree with Shane...You can call it what you want. Some call it anti-lag, other call it boost builder, its just your version but sounds very logical and worthy...I would try incrementing timing out, not just going to 0 to start...

6. essinem4130

The class does not allow a digital or programmable ignition for turbo cars to progressively pull timing out, but does not specify anything about a nitrous timing retard box on a turbo car on a simple switch lol loophole RACING.

7. TurboSN95

the Digital6 MSD box has timing retard. just use a switch to enable it with the two step button.

8. essinem4130

I have the Digital 6 Plus on the car now, I just hevent wired up the 2 step or the nitrous retard.

9. Mick

Here's my info to compare with:

I have the nitrous option on the AEM wired to the brake. It pulls 20* of timing out at 1600 rpms up to something like 3500 rpms - 2700 stall speed 9.5" converter. I can build 6 psi of boost at the line and still hold the car back on the foot brake. I put the timing back in above 3500 rpms so I can tap the brakes when bracket racing without effecting timing. I didn't add or subtract any fuel in the nitrous map, just timing.

1.49 60', 28" tall Hoosier QTP, 3.27 gears, C4 trans, 3210 race weight.

In edit - I should hook the 2 step up to the brake too and set that up. Then I can just mat the throttle and not worry about anything after it is set up right.

10. seirra

most guys that use the anti lag and burn fuel in headers use stainless steel not mild steel .

11. ShaneH

Most of the turbo mustangs you find out there have mild steel headers. We've been doing this for years with no detrimental affects on any of the cars.

12. seirra

don t get excited

13. stang_gt_1994

You tring to tell a mod (Shane) what is right and wrong. I think I will go with the insight from Shane.

14. seirra

possibly burn sparkplug wires, hood ,causes tremendous heat

15. ShaneH

From my experience on the three 8/9 second turbo stangs I've owned, the amount of time you spend on a 2 step is inconsequential to the amount of heat output into the engine compartment. We've actually measured this with an infrared temp gun. It would be different if you were on the 2 step for 30 seconds. But you're not. More like 3 at most. In that amount of time, we saw only about a 25 degree rise in temp radiating off of the headers and even with the hood closed and just cracked the ambient temp of the engine compartment only raised by about 10 degrees. The temps at the far end of the track after a run are FAR hotter than the temps up on the 2 step on the launch pad.

16. Andrew

I have mild steel headers and have yet to have any issues as a result of 2-step use.

17. Mick

I have an underhood TC probe I move around to make sure sensors and stuff close to the headers aren't seeing a ton of heat while building boost at the line. The highest I have seen is about 350 F 1/4" from the collector near the oil pressure sender. Typical driving is about 200 F.

18. Slow Ride