1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

EFI 101/ EFI university

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by streetone01, Jan 8, 2007.

1. streetone01

Has anyone ever taken this course? if so how is it, there is one coming up in CT. im thinking of attending for around $500 for two days, here is the link, id love to hear if someone has taken it and liked it, thanks http://efi101.com/
    Doug

2. Grnd Effct

I took the course in San Diego last October. The first day they cover all the basics like four stroke engine, VE, A/F ratio, basic electronics, etc. The second day is what I got the most out of. They teach all the correct equations to come up with a basic MAP. Overall it was a good class it is geared for an entry level person to understand how to tune an efi system.

I would recommend it if you can spare the cash.

3. Matt Cramer

It's not bad as an introduction to EFI. The first day is a bit basic but they do explain how the whole system works and what to shoot for when tuning (the latter is often much more educational if you're already familiar with how EFI works). The most interesting part is when they demonstrate some of the tuning principles in action on a dyno.

4. blacksaleen95

I did the class 2 years ago, @ xx and I wasn't happy with it.... A lot of people said there was a different guy that usually teaches the classes, it was not the same guy that was there at this class. IMO he sucked. The book they hand out does give you a lot of formulas to calculate stuff, and it goes over BASICS..... IMO you're better off reading on aem forums, on these forums, get a couple tuning books and get the xfi tuning video. In fact, the information covered on the tuning video is similar to what is taught in the class. I was personally disappointed with the class, but I think it would have been better had the efi rep been the usual guy ( I think ben is the guy you want.) I'd find out who is going to be teaching at this class first....if you do decide to attend.

5. streetone01

no shit, thanks for the reply, I accually have the xfi video as well, Ill check to see who is teaching the class id hate to waste 500, need all the parts money i can get :spend:
    Doug

6. speedfreak269

are there any books that help with tuning the gen-7 it is an awesome system but tricky. when u make over 700 RWHP things can go wrong in a hurry thanks

7. Toma

There are two very good books that would teach you as much ore more then that course.... at a fraction of the price.

I'll get you the names when I get home.

Also, I imagine the new EFI book coming out by Greg Banish should be very good.... should be 10 times better then Ben Straders book....

8. SC68Z28

I got a lot out of the EFI 101 class that Ben did last spring in San Diego. As a beginner, the class was well worth the money. Forced induction was continually discussed during both days.
    I left with a feeling of confidence in what I was doing with my project. I also have the XFI DVD, and can now more easily understand it.
    Over half of the people in the class where professional tuners or engine builders, there input was well received by all including Ben.
    The 2nd day (dyno day) was amazing. Ben does a demonstration on an overhead screen, while linked to a running car on a chassis dyno. He took AFR's from about 9:1 all the way out to about 20:1, to show how at different loads /can tolerate a wide range of safe to barely run modes. Same thing with timing, from so advanced it was detonating at a light load, to extreme retard. All this while watching torque/HP, climp and fall.

I just wish I could find a chassis class that good, so I can put the power down.---Bill.

9. blacksaleen95

I do agree the class could be informative to a beginner, however, I'm not sure if Ben doesn't teach the northeast classes or what the deal is, but the guy I had couldn't answer simple questions and didn't impress me much at all. I really wish I could remember his name.

10. lextech

I took the class--Ben taught it. I thought it was very good. At the time my project wasn't finished and I didn't have any tuning software. I think it would be best to have a finished project and tuning softrware so that you could immediately use what was taught. That way it would be fresh and easier to understand and apply.

11. Mike Gager

gregs writing a book? wow can you tell me any more info about it? (name, when its available, etc) definetly want to check it out

12. winded92

From what I understand there are different instructors for different regions. I'm pretty sure Ben is west coast only. I don't have his book but I did find one by another guy,Jeff Hartman, called "How to tune and modify engine management systems". I highly recomend it. I think I got it at Barnes&Noble.

13. Toma

I guess its written. It will be part of the SA series of books... I have it on order already cause I am a tech book junkie.... I can get you the sa number when I get home as well (well, probably Monday)... SA has it advertised as coming out in the next month I do believe.

Greg is now with VDO I think.... I wonder if us old Incon list guys can get a transcript for review ;)

14. Toma

YEP, I think that's it.... I haven't read it in a whike, but its excellent.

15. blacksaleen95

16. LVmustang

Subscribing

17. Toma

18. macsperformance

Hello Doug!

I will be the instructor for the upcoming class in CT. As of this moment the class scheduled for the 27th and 28th of January is full. We have another class coming to the same location on the 10th and 11th of February. I was told earlier in the week that 1 or 2 spots are still available for that class.

As the gentleman above stated the basics are covered along with the introduction to the tuning discussion. If you would like to speak to me personally about the class. Please do not hesitate to call me directly.

706-618-7860

Thank you for your questions Doug and have a nice day!

Hello Sir!

I have been an Instructor for the school for a little better than a year now. So I am not certain who your instructor was for that class. We strive to provide the same level of quality education from instructor to instructor. Are hopes are that each and every student will have the same quality instruction no matter what instructor teaches the class. I am sorry you feel the class was not of a benefit to you. Some of our students come into the class at a higher level of understanding than others. When Ben designed the curriculum for the class he needed to account for the wide variety of students that would attend the courses. This is most likely the reason some feel that they did not benefit from the introductory course (EFI 101) as much as some other students do. In closing I would like to thank you for attending the class and hope we may better serve your needs in the future with another class of more advanced material.

thank you
    Chris Macellaro :)

19. ford-swap

We can determine just how good this class is right now, lol.

Chris, can you answer the two questions:

1.) Give the reasoning behind why VE changes with manifold pressure?

2.) Why are people with 'converative' tune ups ending up with high exhaust backpressure and often have headgasket (as well as other) problems?

If you want to keep the results a secret, PM me. I can act as mediator for qualifications, atleast on an academic level.

-Rob

20. winded92

:huh: