1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Effect of turbine pressure on rod tensile loads?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Dave Flanders, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dave Flanders

Does anyone have a formula for computing rod tensile loads? Also is there a formula for calculating the effect that turbine pressure working against the piston on the exhaust stroke has on the tensile forces?

2. Boost Engineer

3. Dave Flanders

I was hoping it would be as easy as TIP, RPM and bore size. No such luck? :( What info would be required?

4. Anthony Fury

Give me a little bit here to post this - right or wrong, I made an excel spreadsheet that calc's maximum piston acceleration (based on bottom end geometry and RPM), then based on piston mass, gives (what I think is a good approximation of) the rod's tensile load. I did some calcs based simply on piston area and pre-turbine pressure (I'm sure there are many other factors)...it helps (vs. N/A), but not a super amount.