1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Edelbrock heat soak hard start

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by Joel_400, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Joel_400

So my edelbrock was working flawlessly when I installed it. Did all the fancy mods listed on here. Floats, bowl vents, sealed throttle shafts, secondary air bleeds, etc. Carb worked awesome afrs were 14.5 at idle, 12.5 part throttle and low 11s wot. I was happy with that ran real good. Started like a fuel injected unit. Didn't even have to hit the throttle. Slowly started running richer and richer. Then hard start after heat soak. Did find fuel leaking internally from booster gaskets. Replaced them and dropped jets size one on secondary and it was better for a while. Well it did it again today acts like a bad fuel pressure regulator on a fuel injected car. Crank crank crank, start and smoke smoke smoke. Then I noticed in my side mirror smoking during acceleration and periodically after letting off the throttle. Always puffed a bit of smoke initially at wot then cleared up. Doesn't seem like oil smoke to me no blue tint...and no signs of oil in exhaust or on plugs. Fuel pressure too high? Running 5psi at idle and 12 at 7lbs boost... Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Joel

2. B E N

Fuel pressure is fine. Could be you are boiling the fuel in the bowls when heat soaked, is the carb hot to the touch? What engine is this on? Ford 460 are notorious for it since they have an exhaust crossover in the intake.

3. Mnlx

Or float level/ needle and seat. Pull the hat off, and look after a cold, and hot shutdown. Many times you'll see the fuel dripping from the boosters.

4. Joel_400

I did lower the float levels a bit and got new 02 sensor for wideband. Did better for a bit as far as hot start...ended up playing with jets and rods a bit and got afrs better. Idling around 14, cruises around 13 and high tens low elevens at wot. Seems to like that best so far...had smaller jets in secondaries and initially would go low 12s then spike to 14s at wot...no good. Stays in 11s with two sizes bigger on jets. Don't have the size in between in my kit. Blows a bit of smoke but seems happier there. Checked floats again when I had top off carb and levels seem ok. Hard to tell past that. Now I'm getting my hot start issue again. Crank crank crank, start, smoke smoke. Not nearly as bad as previously but still not right. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Joel

5. Old 86

Do you have room for a heat shield between the carburetor and the intake?

6. Joel_400

It would be tight but possibly could fab something up. Maybe fuel is boiling from the heat? The carb hat and carb are warm to touch after running a bit but wouldn't think it would boil the fuel. I suppose it's worth a shot though.
    Thank you for the idea. Will let you know if it helps.
    Joel

7. Old 86

I had the same issue with an old set up, I’m running a CSU carburetor now and have some hard start issues when hot. Odd thing is if I remove the carburetor hat it starts right up.

8. Joel_400

That's interesting...I'll have to take the carb hat off and see how it starts next time I play with it. Maybe if fumes are vented to atmosphere via the air cleaner assembly on an n/a engine it wouldn't effect the hot start as much...but when it's all trapped inside the air intake it somewhat floods the engine? Possibly the air circulating thru the turbo into the intake tract adds a bit more heat to make the issue that much worse also?
    Joel

B E N likes this.
  9. PEARL MUSSIN

I've had this issue ever since I went carb.. no matter what carb I use. I chalked it up to nature of the beast