1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Edelbrock/AFB mod pics

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by Bryan, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Bryan

With Gary's permission, I have posted his pics and text for modifying the Edelbrock/AFB carbs for Blow Through.
    They can be seen in the sticky for Edelbrock mods.

Thanks Gary for the pics and the info!!:)

Take care all,
    Bryan

2. Bryan

To the top,for those who didn't know.

B

3. Boost Engineer

Where is the info and the pics?

Tom V.

4. Bryan

Tom,
    The info and pics are in the sticky,"How to modify an Edelbrock carburetor for blow through".I already mentioned that in the first post.Maybe you missed it.;)

Take care,
    Bryan

5. Boost Engineer

Sorry, Thanks for the info!

Tom V.

6. Bryan

No problem,Tom.Glad to help.

Bryan

7. fastestdriver

Why don't more people mod these carbs for blow-thru? Seems to be a cheap alternative to a Holley on a budget build. What kind of disadvantages would one have compared to a Holley? I must admit I am tempted to try one just due to the fact you could buy a used one and mod it for 75 bucks...but then again do I want a 75 dollar carb on an expensive forged motor? Opinions on this?

8. Bryan

Good questions...

fastestdriver,
    I guess the main reason most people use the Holley carbs for blow through is their popularity,availability of parts(endless),and the amount of experience that has been gained through their extensive use on anything you could dream of.

Do these things make them the better choice.Of course not.Are they advantageous to the do-it-yourselfer?Absolutely.Because of the huge following the Holley 4150's have for blow through,it only stands to reason so many people turn to them.Those who choose to go with the Holley have probably THE largest reference,technical,and troubleshooting database ever,for ANY carb.Who wouldn't want to try their hand at modding one for their application?Not to mention,for those who like to wrench,it's a real pleasure to build something that gets you where you want to go.:)

As for the Edelbrock/AFB carbs for blow through,I'll just have to say,I'm hooked.I will NEVER down a Holley,but I will note the truth about their shortcomings (ALL of which CAN be remedied easily for a great performing and highly reliable carb).It just takes more money,sometimes alot more,to get the Holley to the level of reliable performance that the Edelbrock offers right out of the box.

Some may want to disagree, but experience is the best teacher.My challenge:buy both,and see for yourself which one is the more "user friendly" and reliable.Whichever one you settle on will be the carb for you.For me and a few others,it will always be the Edelbrock/AFB carbs.For others,the Holley.You may never really think about this,but it also depends on what you were told or heard growing up.The opinions of others can have a lasting impression on us as we grow to be adults.And sometimes,without realizing it we find ourselves saying the SAME things for or against a certain product just because that's what we "heard".

Bottom line,the Edelbrock carbs can do anything as well as the Holley for blow through,and in my opinion are better designed to do so.They are rock solid carbs that don't leak fuel,hold a rock steady tune, and offer a large selection of tuning bits and pieces.You can easily obtain the desired A/F ratio at any load level or range,and you will be pleasantly suprised at the prices compared to other carbs.I hope that whatever you decide,that you'll have the feeling that you made the right choice.And above all.....HAVE FUN WITH IT!

:D

Let us Edelbrock/AFB guys know if you need any help.We're small in number,but not in presence.We'll keep an eye out for ya.

Take care,
    Bryan