1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ed curtis tfs stage 1 cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by fast89, Jan 16, 2004.

1. fast89

this cam gets mentioned here alot. how would it be for a turbo cam? i have my choice between this and a stock cam for my garrett 62-1 tfs headed motor.

2. Alex332

hrm..

i think you're confused

ed curtis is FTI, flowtech inductions, and he spec's out custom cams at customer requests

a TFS stage 1 cam, is a Trickflow cam, generic, off the shelf, whatever u want to call it

and you really need to tell us more about your combo before we can recommend a cam for you

but as a rule, if you've got a good custom cam guy, the custom should always run better than the off the shelf

3. fast89

i put his name in the title so he finds the thread. of course a custom cam would do better but i'm not made of money. he's on the board to give advice about cams and i'm sure to get some more business as well.

4. EdCurtis

I'm here becausse Trent asked... I hope I don't regret it... :cheers:

As for the TFS ST1:rocket: forget it... You'd be better off with a stocker set in at 113* intake centerline and a 1.72 rocker arm, especially on the intake side...

But... you are right... A custom designed cam, for your application is best...

Ed

:guns:

5. Trentk

everyone take it is on the Ed, we don't want to scare the ed away. He is here to pitch in where he can but he also isn't here to give out free advice all day.
    :)

I say if you want big power a custom cam is a must. If you have a stock block then don't bother because the stock cam will support enough to crack a stocker.

6. fast89

cool, that's the kind of advice we need on this board. thanks ed

7. fast89

how do you arrive at a 113* in. centerline? retard it 4*?

8. EdCurtis

If you just retard it, you never really know where it actually is...

You must degree it in to get it there...

Ed

9. fast89

oh it will be degreed, i just wanted a starting point. i didn't know what the stock int. centerline was.

10. EdCurtis

Stock lobe separation runs betwen 114* and 119* so you have to check both the intake and exhaust to know exactly what you have.

From my database on stock OEM camshafts, the 116* lobe separation number +/- 1/2* is the norm. This being said, a 113* get's you between 2 and 3 degrees advance... a good starting point.

Ed

11. boss311

ed curtis

welcome ed, glad to see you here. we promise you wont get banned from this site. LOL!!!!!!:D