1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

quick video of the boost problem

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by screaming01l, Sep 26, 2012.

1. screaming01l

2. justinschmidt1

What makes you think its the waste gate?

Once you are making boost and the gate is open it shouldnt fall like that.

Looks like the BOV is opening or something crazy?

3. screaming01l

Up until 18 psi its rock solid. The moment you cross that threshold its done. Im guessing i should remove both gates and inspect them. wonder if one is having trouble? The last non SP cover turbos would drop to 10 p[si, and then bounce 10-13psi and make a shoosh sound when they did that and that sound was in syncronos with the psi readings.

4. turboeverything

Have you tested the gates?

5. screaming01l

No. Haven't tested them and truck has never been turned up over 17 psi by any of the previous owners. If I keep it at 18 and under it pulls like a freight train with no hicups

6. tbaggins

I know someone stated this in your other thread, but it seems like an EBC problem. Start troubleshooting the problem by eliminating the easiest things first.

Try and run the wastegate without the EBC. Attach the bottom port's hose to the top port and leave the bottom port open. This should make boost that exceeds what you run with the EBC. If it still drops, then you can rule out the EBC and any electrical issues like overboost protection failing or the solenoid failing.

Next I would test your BOV. If you still hear the swoosh sound while you are testing the above and the above doesn't help. If you get a sudden drop in air pressure in the manifold, you would have a large enough pressure difference that it opens the BOV, and it could drop 10psi. I don't know about the fluttering of the boost pressure, or why it wouldn't jump back to 20psi. Your car builds boost quick so It should jump back up.

Have you data-logged the problem? Is anything happening in the tune?

7. screaming01l

datalogs look good. and air fuel is spot on. Like i said, under 18 psi truck makes over 700HP, When i set it just to the thrshold i can hear the waste gates changin sound like theyre trying to close. And if I let the throttle out just a bit, it climbs again.

8. tbaggins

I guess try and change springs? If it is the WG making the swoosh sound not the BOV. I would still try the line switching because it is easy. And then address the gates. It shouldn't fall that fast if it is the springs unless some crazy even is happening like a valve getting slammed open and stuck.

9. Gen1SVE

What is the timing doing on the data logs?

10. screaming01l

Street tune never got es over 12 deg. Holds steady too

11. Gen1SVE

Not to be a pain but you verified the timing holds steady even over 18psi. I was thinking the street tune may have a boost threshold, or IAT timing retard built in?

12. screaming01l

IATA never go over 150. Tune is set up to start pulling timing after that. On the lightning its all based on Maf tables , load tables and o2 ect. Pcm doesn't take boost into account. I have one more video to load which shows the issue much more pronounced,with the old turbos. Will upload it tonight. I have a box truck that needs breaks today...ughh. honest for the weary