1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

eBay t70

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by buick 305, Sep 6, 2016.

1. buick 305

Hey guys are these decent specs on this eBay t70 turbo for a budget build Chevy 350 with a small cam doin a blowthrough setup?

2. Forcefed86

3. M&M Turbochargers

4. Forcefed86

Someone put 3 of them on a BBC already! ;)

5. Tugvr4

6. Mnlx

It has the same wheel specs, but the a/r is different. Many times the internal gate isn't large enough or only gates one half of the turbine making it not a good option.

7. Tugvr4

Looks like just the turbine housing is a .96 which is still a good size for a mild v8 and I agree with the possibility of the internal gate not controlling boost as well as an external gate. My vr4 has run close to 40psi with twins with internal gating but I also have a good electronic boost controller.

8. Mnlx

Yeah, the .96 really isn't much of an issue. A small internal gate will work better with high boost numbers, its trying to keep boost down that's the problem. The down pipe flange is also smaller than the gt45.

9. Forcefed86

I really wouldn't trust that ad. The HX40 has no where near those wheel specs and I'd bet money they aren't measuring the inducer/exducer properly. Also many of the china companies selling those don't have a clue about the turbine housing sizes. I'm all for trying it and finding out for us though... ;) I got $20 that says they are full of it...

10. Mnlx

I was wondering that too.... but if you cant trust the wheel specs, what can you go by? The fact that its labeled as a hx40 means squat as well in my book. Many of them are labeled as something, and may look like what they're copied from, but wheels are way off....

11. Forcefed86

I tried to hunt down a "modded" China 60-70mm HX35/40 for my twin build. After talking with TONS of ebay sellers most said they were factory supplied numbers and would not verify. A few sent me actual specs and they were all 54mm wheels. They also never changed their ad claiming larger wheels dimensions. Don't get me wrong I hope it's a legit AD. If they are Holset wheel design clones, they would be miles ahead of the GT45 china stuff.

12. Tugvr4

Yeah I get what you guys are saying about the wheels you never know.. If you go to eBay and type in fL70 turbo theres a ton of the same turbo listed for sale by a lot of different sellers... I really tempted to by one and measure it))

13. M&M Turbochargers

if i did it i would double check the return the policy, maybe even email the supplier about the return policy , and maesure that sucker when i got it to confirm the measurements and if they were wrong send that thing back the next day

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. Tugvr4

Good idea. I will.

15. Tugvr4

16. Forcefed86

17. Tugvr4

18. Tugvr4

You think a 38mm wastegate could hold 6-8 psi?

19. Forcefed86

If it were placed correctly on a GT45 with a 2” hot side I’m sure you could get it down to 7ishlbs.

Would need to be on a 90* bend parallel to flow or on the turbo housing itself. I think the WG gets quite a bit hotter if you locate them on a housing and won’t last near as long. Esp a cheap china WG. But lots of guys are doing it these days and it regulates boost well.

20. jemachine

I saw that dna advertised hx 40 claiming to have a 69 mm inducer wheel, it's been on their site for a couple of years now. I called them and they claimed it was correct. i bought the gt45 instead because they said the wastegate actuator was preset at like 16 psi. If anybody does buy one of those hopefully they will post true dimensions