1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Easy 4 link question.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Lightning Struck, May 9, 2007.

1. Lightning Struck

This is probably an easy one, but is it required to cut off the axle ends to install a 4 link? Seems most brackets have a 3" hole drilled in them, and at the current time I really don't need to narrow my rear end, so I'd prefer not to have to hack off the axle end..

Thanks for any info!

2. jamheg1101

all of the ones i have seen are the slide on kind. Ladder bar braxkets are just the half moon deal. I'm gettin 4 link brackets made for our 8.8 axle tubes at work next week if you need any.

3. std

I've always wondered why they make them that way. I don't see any reason they need to slip on. Here's what I would do. Cut the hole at the top and bottom striat towards the back.Slide the bracket onto the housing and tack weld it where you want it. Now take the cut out piece and fit it back where you just cut it out. weld it back in and then weld the whole bracket. If you do a good job metal finishing the two cut/weld spots no one will even know.

4. Lightning Struck

std, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Just whiz it off perpendicular with my bandsaw, slide the half circle with bracket onto the tube, tack it, then put the cutoff on, tack it, then finish TIG welding it... Although I'm almost thinking I'll have to MIG it, since I've only got 200 amps with my Dynasty, which "should" be enough, but it'll take a ton of heat..

I've got some heat blocker stuff that works decent, then probably put a wet cold towel to try to isolate the heat....

James, how much are you looking to get for your brackets? These are going on an 8.8 in my lightning, and if I remember right the axle tubes are bigger in diameter than a mustang.

5. jamheg1101

I'd imagine they will be 18.95 each side so like 40 bucks for the pair. Measure what size the axle tubes on your lightning are because i can make and size you need.