1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

eagle (arp) 8740 rod bolts?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by slow95gt, Oct 8, 2004.

1. slow95gt

is anyone still running the arp 8740 rod bolts that come in most eagle rods,
    i have h beams and was told that they will let go and let the cap seperate a couple thousandths at tdc when theirs no load pushing on the piston (valve overlap)

i was told not even to try to make a pass with these rod bolts, and that i would be shoveling parts at the 60'

i have a feeling i can get away with these for a season..until i get a billet rotating assy. btw: this is a 1000+rwhp car revved to 7500rpm

is this guy just trying to get me to spend the $400 for the 2000 series rod bolts...or can i get away with using the 8740's

2. ShaneH

At the 1000rwhp level, he is correct in a sense. It's not safe. Now does it let the rod cap seperate? My thinking is that no, he's being a bit overdramatic. The 8740 bolts are probably safe to run to 1000fwhp. Over that, you really should look at upgrading to the arp 2000s. The price on the 2000s is nowhere close to $400, though.

3. slow95gt

he said i would have to have the dowles removed..rods machined a few thousandths...then the rods resized again

is this right or can i just get away with running the 2000 series, without resizing them?

ive never had to deal with any type of machining so i have no idea.

thanks
    slow95gt

4. ShaneH

You cannot just run them. You would have to check the big end once you've put them in and torqued them to spec first.