1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

e85 fuel system?

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by 57sailplane, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 57sailplane

so i got a small block chevy i am wanting to push 1100 hp on boost on e85.. i am going to try a blow threw carb set up. question is i am wanting to run hard line aluminum tubing from granger. what i have read on here on old post is to run the 5/8 with .495 inside dia. seamless. this stuff can handle 1941.0 psi. just could not find out what AN nut i should use an aluminum or stainless one should it be flare or double flare. or can i possible use slide in sinch conectors from summit or can i use the stainless ones from parker. so many choices just want to keep it lite and nice looking.

later andrew

2. Forcefed86

Couple things...

1. Aluminum isn't ethanol compatible. Should use SS hard line or PTFE braided SS hose with it. (shouldn't use an alum. fuel cell either)
    2. If you are talking 1100 wheel HP you should run larger than 1/2 ID line IMO. Might as well go to -10 or 2 -6's depending on setup and which is easier.
    3. I use thin wall SS brewery lines in 1/2" with my setup. B-nuts and collars purchased from aircraftspruce.com. Single flare is fine. I'm roughly making 1000hp EFI with E85 and I wish I would have went with larger lines. I'm pushing it with my setup.

Thin wall (.028 wall) is still hard to flare, I heat it up with a torch first. Don't buy thick wall SS hardline, you'll never get it flared.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  3. 57sailplane

hey forcefed,

thanks for the reply. its great to talk with someone who has actually done what i am wanting to do.

ya i have been reading a lot on weather e85 corrodes aluminum and have found that in most cases the lines are fine as long as they stay full of e85 it seems to be when oxygen can get to the e85 it draws in moisture and creates an acid that corrodes the aluminum. now that's one argument and there are a ton of others. i have still not made up my mind weather i want to use it or not. i do like the idea of using stainless that solves all argument but dose add weight. oops one more argument.. but then i don't need to worry about corrosion.. i can get ss hydraulic line and slip fittings for it. may be an option.

thanks for the ideas and suggestions i will look into the ss for sure and probably will be the rout i go just seems less of a headache.

as for line size you are right i am sure. i need to do some refiguring on fuel line sizing.

thanks again forcefed it great to get info from a person that's has hands on experience...

later andrew

4. Forcefed86

Lol, been there… A sturdy steel drain pipe makes for a nice functional space saving mount too.

I have several friends with alum cells and lines that have reported no issues with corrosion over the last few years on E85. But if you are going to build the fuel system from scratch anyway, seems just as easy to use stuff that’s compatible with ethanol.

Carbs and E85 are a different story. The vents constantly expose the fuel in the bowls to oxygen. In my experience it gels up carbs quick. I place a rubber cap over my vent, if I plan to let the car sit for any more than a day or 2. Helps quite a bit... but still gels eventually. Might be better with a carb hat and forced induction, I haven’t played with that yet. My carb’d E85 setup is NA.

Good luck!

5. 57sailplane

look what i found. these are hydraulic nipples they a 37 degree flare ends which i believe is the angle for AN or am i wrong.. only issue is i would have to go to an inch dia.. never mind they are to short. but i think i might be in the right place. parker has just about everything for hydrolic and you can get it in stainless with AN fittings

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/20000-psi-coned-and-threaded-nipples

6. Drac0nic

37 degree is AN. If it's for hydraulics chances are that's JIC which is largely interchangeable.