1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Not a turbo question, but vehicle which will soon have one

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TTF/Ken, Dec 20, 2012.

1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Say you have $5000 $7000 dollars to spend on a small or full sized pickup, with dependability until this summer being the top priority. And after the summer begins, it could be used as a project vehicle...

What would you buy? It must be from the mid-90s and up, since safety improved greatly after the mid-90s, and it must dependable enough for a college aged daughter who is not mechanically inclined to drive to school until summer starts.

I have some things in mind, but before I put it out there I want to get opinions from others.

2. Gt-358

3. jaredsamurai

2000-up, chevy 1/2 ton, 5.3, shortbed, singlecab. Done.

4. MONTEGOD7SS

/endthread

5. TwinTLuv

x1000

6. taank

I have a 01 mountaineer. I know you said pick up but the turning radius and comfort of these are awesome. Plus if she smashes it up there are a ton at the scrap yard because of cash for clunkers. Cheap and reliable vehicle

7. Turbo-Box

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. Gen1SVE

Lightning is my vote.

9. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Lightning ain't gonna cut it, its my college aged daughter who's going to be driving it until summer starts. Gotta be something more like a normal daily driver which I can turn into a horse power project once she graduates.

10. Gen1SVE

A nice first gen... 15.8 stock in the quarter 351w ready for a turbo Add heads, gaskets, fuel and a tune. It is not too fast, downright slow by todays standards. My stock block lasted for 10 years boosted.

11. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Need to find something pretty common (and something the previous owner wasn't likely to drive in a spirited way). Last first gen Lightning listed on Craiglist out here was in October and there's no telling when another one will get listed.

12. stangman9897

Your a Ford man so that does not leave you a lot of choices when it comes to trucks.

13. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yeah, I'm a Ford guy, have four right now, and many in the past, but I'm not opposed to any make for this particular project. Doing something a little different this time around might add a little more fun to it.

14. DeboDaddy

Not even a question

15. stangman9897

Why a truck for a girl, why not a car or is she a country girl that wants a truck like dad. My 2 are totally different when it comes to cars or autos. The oldest would rather have a luxury car and the youngest would take a F250. But a car will make a better project if going turbo.

Hell get a used mustang and join the crowd, then when shes done you can have a turbo mustang. lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  16. TTF/Ken Staff Member

She's driving it until she graduates this summer. The vehicle will be mine, she's only using it temporarily.

I don't want anything which has a high likelihood of being driven in a "spirited" way. Its got to be as close to 100% dependable as possible until she's done driving it, then it'll go into my shop building for some time, lol. :2thumbs:

17. lu-8 nut

any chevy fullsize longbed with a 4.3 l , the motors are indestructable , my step son has one that was a fleet truck and it has 225k on the motor and body , its a 96 and even from Chicago and it was a daily driven vehicle , it has only rust on the cab corners , the trans ( 4l60E ) is way over rated for the motor , and it gets decent milage ( 20 highway -13 city ) , but trucks are not a milage vehicle if you want milage buy a car . and the nice thing is if you want to convert them all the wiring/ecm is under the hood ( obdII) in a seperate loom compaired to some others were they run the harness together to inside the vehicle

18. bgjohnson

2.5 ranger extended cab 2wd They aren't a bad platform to start with, lots of room for whatever.

19. jridenour31

Definitely a nbs Chevy with an ls.

20. 2_slow_5.0

There is a very straight and nice looking single cab 2005 chevy HD2500 with A 6.0 listed on Craigslist in Houston for 5500. That would still leave ya some scratch for some mods later when she is done with it.