1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Yamaha Tenere 700 tuning

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by spuzvica, Jan 29, 2021.

1. spuzvica

Hi,

as a SW professional and a petrolhead I love to know how stuff works. I have recently purchased the Dynojet Power Vision 3, which also comes with a few tunes for my bike, the CP2-engined Yamaha Tenere 700.

Dynojet also provide the C3 software for editing tunes so the least I could do is check them out and compare stock with the one I am running (aftermarket slip on + airbox with a bigger opening).

What I found confusing was the fact that they have simply pulled back the ignition timing by exactly the same amount (2.1) across the whole TPS and rev range, see comparison between stock and aftermarket tune attached.

Is this normal? You have to excuse my lack of knowledge but would it not make more sense to advance the ignition less on low rev and more on high rev to avoid premature detonation?

Just want to understand how that is done because they said given the high octane fuel we have in Europe, Dynojet said I could advance the ignition even more (by 2-3 degrees more), again accross the entire TPS/rev range...

Any thoughts or words of wisdom are appreciated!

aftermarket_ignition_map.png #ad

stock_ignition_map.png #ad

2. Mnlx

Kind of depends on the stock tune. Most newer efi systems run a knock sensor, and some OEM's tune on the verge of knock, resulting in more time in knock retard. Variable cam timing changes (if applicable) can effect this as well. The only real way to know what it likes is to read plugs, or log on a dyno, or at the track.

jaquetapus likes this.
  3. 65ShelbyClone

I'm a little confused. Is the stock Yamaha map the one with higher or lower advance numbers?

4. spuzvica

Stock is the second one, the one with lower numbers (less ignition advance).

5. 65ShelbyClone

Okay, it was the wording "pulling the timing back" that made it sound to me like they retarded it, which would be out of character for DynoJet.

As I think you suspected, it is not normal. It shows that DJ did nothing whatsoever as far as tuning an actual bike. They just got a stock map and applied an adder. It's very unlikely IMO that Yamaha did timing sweeps for max power and then just subtracted X° across the map to make it warranty-friendly.

I'd take their "you can advance it even more with good European gas" advice with a huge grain of salt. I'd question whether they even know that Europe only goes by the RON number. We use an average of the RON and MON so our pump numbers are a lot lower, but the actual RON not nearly as much.