1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

e-85,compression&boost?

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by gutlass80, Dec 21, 2013.

1. gutlass80

Guys. I have a 455 olds with 11-1 compression running on e85 right now. Could I get by running maybe 6-8 pounds of boost. I know it's not best but can it work
    Thanks
    Kris

2. Mnlx

What heads?

3. turbostang500

Yeah, without knowing how good the engine breathes, it
    is hard to say if it should work or not.

4. gutlass80

Heads are fully ported factory cast irons with a 2.100 intake valve and a 1.7 exhaust.

5. Mnlx

Many have run 10-10.5:1 with e85, but 11:1, and factory iron heads are not working to your advantage. Give it a try, and see what happens. Should ask what cam too as that will make a difference.

6. gutlass80

Current cam is a solid flat tappet [email protected] ground on a 110
    Pretty sure it's way wrong for a turbo. But maybe that can work to my advantage?

7. turbostang500

It should bleed off compression which would help. I should have also asked what combustion chamber as an open chamber will also have an ill affect. Open chamber heads tend to detonate a little easier.

8. gutlass80

Chambers are big ugly stock Oldsmobile. Long ways from what's available now for everything but Oldsmobile. I'm thinking about using a couple of the little generic t3/t4's like used in the beginning of the big block grenade build. Figure they will spool real quick and help keep rpm around 5-5500.

9. Mnlx

You're in a bad spot.... if you try and keep your cam, small turbines are bad for an already det sensitive combo and your heads aren't doing you any favors in the detonation dept either. Personally I think P trim t4's at a minimum.

10. gutlass80

Would it be crazy to try a couple of the eBay gt45 turbos? They seem like overkill but who knows. I'm using this as a practice/experimental project. Hoping to use what I learn on my nine second naturally aspirated olds.

11. Mnlx

you've got the cid for it, and if you plan on running your current cam, and e85 you'll need a large turbine.