1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

breaking is hard after turbo install

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by rustyruststang50, Jan 16, 2014.

1. rustyruststang50

now after i installed the turbo on my 88 5.0 the break pedal got really firm. it doesnt like to stop at all, i think when i speed up the pedal get a little softer and breaks a little better. any ideas what it could be?

2. Blackbeard

You have a check valve installed before your brake booster so boost doesn't fight your brake pedal

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Either your setup is such that it's not getting vacuum, vacuum is bleeding off due to a bad check valve, or there isn't a check valve. How does the pedal feel if you start it and let it idle for a minute without driving it?

4. rustyruststang50

i will have to get back to you on that as i am out of the country and dont know that off the top of my head. what if it does get easier?

- - - Updated - - -

i bought a new one of those and it didnt help im going to also install a inline one when i get back and see if that helps.

5. afterfire

Is the vacuum line tapped into a source below the throttle plate? Have you considered the possibility that your booster has gone bad?

6. rustyruststang50

that was going to be my next thing to do. but just thought it was wierd it happened right after my turbo install so i wanted to see if there was anything else first.

7. TTF/Ken Staff Member

It will tell you if it's at least getting some vacuum, help narrow it down if it's a checkvalve/boost issue.

8. BigDan

Have you thought that maybe the extra heat your routing around might be boiling the brake fluid?

9. gotageta5oh

In my experience boiling the fluid makes the pedal go soft.

10. SLAUGHTERHAUS FAB

+1No doubt bouiled fluid will result in soft brakes and loss of braking power. Sounds like a booster issue.

11. LFMCameron

I was a dumb @$$ and left my vacuum line unhooked I guess. My supercharged blow through sat for almost 7 years and was idling at 1400rpm and I had the exact same problem. Changed hoses, bled my brake lines...boom. Better then I remembered when I parked it.