1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

cheapskate newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by thigh19, Feb 15, 2014.

1. thigh19

I'm building a 1950 willys wagon ratrod. I want to run an inexpensive turbo for the look mainly. A little boost will be nice but more for the look.
    Met a guy at hot august nights a few years ago running twin turbo with no blow off or bypass. He said it worked great that way.
    Every one I've told this to says that's the wrong way to go.
    I've got a turbo off of a cumming diesel. I'm not looking for a lot of boost, just going for the look and sound. The cool factor.
    got a good running 403 olds motor with a t400 transmission. Have a 750 holley vacume secondary I'd like to use.
    need to stay on the cheap so any recommendations or wise words would be appreciated.

2. Nonwoven29

No diverter valve,blow off valve = instant fail! When the throttle body closes were is the pressure going to go. It will 100% cause compressor surge.

Sorry I don't have any real good info for doing on the super cheap. As I've found there is no such thing as cheap when it comes to forced induction. Supercharger or turbo compressors there's no such thing as cheap.

You would also have to decided if your going to convert the carb to a Blow through or just go draw through. IMHO blow through is the way to go for throttle response. Ill never go draw agin!

If you had a small block chevy you could find one of the ancient Martin Turbo kits for dirt cheap. Google the Martin and you'll see how simple cheap the install can be. It would work perfect for what your asking of it.

3. 91turboterror

Whoever that guy was at hot august nights was blowin smoke up your ass. IMO do it the right way or don't do it at all. A budget setup is fine as long as you get the right parts. What are the specs on that cummins turbo? It probably isn't large enough being it's from a 5.9 liter diesel that only turns 3000rpm. You should input the information into a turbo calculator or look at maps. If it's too small it'll choke the engine.you need a Holley with mechanical secondaries. A 750 would be fine. Check out hangar18 to learn how to convert your carb to blowthru.

4. M&M Turbochargers

5. boostcreep81

That 403 wont be running good for long if u dont sort out a good tune. Also, u definitely need a BOV unless u want to blow the turbo apart. Too much surge can snap a turbo shaft in half, trust me, ive witnessed it! The th400 is a solid trans tho and can handle alot of power with very little work.
    Side note, holset turbos dont perform well at low boost, they are designed for high pressure ratios. I had a hx40 from a 8.3L cummins and it wasnt efficient on my 350 at all. U most likely have an hx35 or h1c or similar, way too small for a 403... 2 hx35 would be nice for street use.

6. half-fast

Just run a cheap ebay bov they work fine, but surge does sound cool ha

7. Thejeepguy

How cheap are you trying to go....right now with most of my turbo stuff its lookin like my build is going to be about 1100-1300...I am budget boosting but I'm also getting almost everything I need for a good kit...I have a friend who has been running 2 ebay hks knockoff blow off valves with no issues ....they're also $40 thats pretty cheap compared to a new turbo

8. half-fast