1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Self contained turbo oil

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Racer99, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Racer99

Reading a motorcycle magazine about a company that makes
    turbo kits for the Triumph Rocket (202 hp/215 ft lbs)and the Harley V Rod(170 hp).They use an iboost turbo(formerly Aerocharger)that has a selfcontained system of a specialty oil.
    No feed or drainback lines to worry about and you can mount it just about anywhere(both kits are mounted low and forward).
    While I understandably like the oil feed idea on a street car wouldnt it be feasible to do this on a strip only vehicle?I am
    thinking of contacting the company and pricing the oil and ask if they think it might work with conventional seals our if they use a
    special polymer or ceramic seal set.
    A test mule with a standalone self contained oil setup is in order.
    Anyone????

2. twinturboc10

I don't think it would work very well. The Aerochargers have a "wick" that draws oil from the reservoir to the bearings, and I believe they use ball bearings which require less oil anyway. I think a standard sleeve bearing would need to be submerged in oil to have a chance of surviving, so you'd need very good seals, not just the standard piston ring design.

3. NeedaTurbo

And were it for a race car, he'd probably just think of it as extra weight.

4. mystang

you would have to have like four of them cause in corky's book he had to put two aerocharger turbos on a nsx just to get like 8 pounds or something. Yeah they use some type of special aeronotical oil you have to measure out and put in a resivoir

5. Uncle Bob

aerodynes are cute little turbo's, but they are delicate. They do not like high boost. They are ungodly expensive and can't be rebuilt (except at the factory)

The oiling system feature is very nice, but it sure ain't worth all the disadvantages.

6. Racer99

Thanks for the replies.Just thinking a little outside the box
    and it doesnt hurt to ask.
    Bored at work and was reading the article but the Triumph is anything but small(over 2200 ccs).