1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

When do you need to swap to a severe duty exh valve?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TTFBDY, May 31, 2009.

1. TTFBDY

It's all in the title.
    What hp or boost level or ????

2. 10secgoal

High egt's !!!

3. TTFBDY

Thanks, but wouldn't that be a little late????

I'll probably mount a tc before the turbo for tuning. Most just use a WB to make sure the afr is ok.

What temp should you stay below long term and short term?

4. 10secgoal

Not sure on long term, short term. But you are gonna need a valve to withstand 15-1600 deg

5. TTFBDY

I'm just curious since I see a lot of people running stock LS valves. They usually break something else first. Running extra fat helps I guess.

6. 71 cam

You will eventually need to upgrade to an Iconel exhaust valve to hold up to the heat and a good stainless intake valve. I would say you would be ok up to 10lbs. Most bolt on turbo kits for stock applications are under 10lbs.