1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dyno numbers in, are these good

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by montstr, May 1, 2005.

1. montstr

I just ran the car and hit 480HP and 487TQ at 8lbs of boost with a 62-1 with an .68 AR housing. My motor is stock block with TFS cam, Gt-40 iron heads(not worked), box intake, 42lbs injectors, 70T/B. AF was at 11.3 all the way up with timing set at 0. I'm in Utah so I'm not sure if that will hurt my numbers since I'm at 4300 feet above sea level. What you guys think. Thanks for the input.

2. Brent Davis

Hell yeah that is good for "0" timing. It's probably close to a 600 RWHP car once you do add timing in there. The A/F is nice and safe. You did a good job man. Glad you are happy with it and enjoying it. I see the smile now.:tu:

Was this with pump gas? Why run "0" timing?

3. montstr

It was with 100. The reason for 0 timing is that when I run 92 I cant get anything over 4 without ping so as of right now 0 is safe. What might cause the ping and get rid of it. I hear guys running up to 14 with tons of boost. Why cant I? Thanks

4. Brent Davis

Well, what spark plugs do you use? I hope you aren't using a stock plug but a plug that is twice as cold as a stock one. With just 8 psi of boost and 42 lb. injectors, there's no reason in the world that you can't run more than 4 degrees of timing. What are the cam specs? It may be creating so much cylinder pressure that you can get detonation from that as well.

5. montstr

The plugs are one step colder then stock, Im not sure what part number they are. I can find out later tonight.

As for the cam it's the TFS-51402000 Specs are duration@ .050 221int 225exh, lift 499int 510exh What plugs should I run in stock GT-40 heads? Oh and thanks for all your help. I'm new to the turbo thing and I thought I was going to go crazy. But love it now.

6. Legendary

I have the same heads and will be running the same turbo. I too would like to know what plugs are good and would my B cam be good or should I switch it out.

7. montstr

I was told to go F303 if i went with a Ford cam but i'm new to this turbo thing

8. twofast

verify the timing marks. just because it points to tdc doesn't mean it really is. the pointer for one of my engines was 4 deg off.
    just a suggestion.

9. Mach1

Letter cams are junk, just ask Brent he only put down 1200hp with one, trash I tell ya.

10. montstr

I'm a little lost. Why and how do I verify it's off if it points to 0?

11. Brent Davis

:rofl: :rofl: :loll: :loll: Aint that the truth. I can say this, I am not going to change it for a "custom" turbo camshaft.;)

12. twofast

why?- that should be obvious. you're assuming that the pointer is giving you correct info. if the outer ring of the balancer slipped, or some other reason, you may actually be at 8 deg instead of 0.
    how?- probably the easiest way is to weld an extension onto the inside of a spark plug. install the plug and slowly rotate the engine until it hits the modidied plug. mark your balancer. rotate it the other way and mark your balancer again. 1/2 the distance between those marks is tdc.

i have a freind with a turbo car and we always wondered how he got away with running so much timing on pump gas. found out later the ring had slipped, so he wasn't running that much at all.
    it's just somethng to check and rule out as a possible cause to your problem.

13. Legendary

Is that all? :p

So the B cam should be ok for a street driven 450 rwhp car?

14. braxton357

Isn't timing controlled by the computer on later 5.0s? If this is the case then it doesn't really matter what his pointer says...? Either way, those are very good numbers, no reason to be worried about anything.

15. Barry D.

it very much matters what the pointer says. the computer adds to the base timing which is what he'll be looking at when the timing light is on it and the spout is out.

16. mustanggreg

Why the box upper?

If this is a street setup (<6000rpm), I'm betting you'd pick up power pretty much everywhere in the rpm band if you went with a long runner manifold.

17. montstr

I've always had box uppers on boosted cars and love them. This on is a custom upper that I build with a Holly lower. I'll try to get some pictures of it up soon. On a boosted car I was always told that short runners will give a gain in HP???

18. mustanggreg

Depends on the cubes and what rpm you're spinnin' to. I'd be curious what your power curve would look like with the Holley upper in place of the box.

19. svooh

Any dyno graph pics?

I'm curious about the camshaft liking the boost... :tu:

20. Ugly Duck

Was there any atmospheric correction applied to your dyno pull? Any drivetrain losses factored in?