1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dyno day tomorrow for the LS chevelle

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jim wingo

as much as i hate dyno's, gonna bite the bullit and do it tomorrow-i have a 4 hour am appt, not looking for anything but a safe tune up, just to hard to go out on the street and hammer it and look where i am going, you gotta really stay in it to get the afr's readings
    i just dont like the engine sitting there on the dyno screaming(i blew one up) but they have the ability to monitor a whole lot of stuff,
    plus some experience with LS motors-i'll prob be doing the carb input, if anybody listens, lol
    with the new cam and heads, its a diff. animal-gonna shoot for a 93 octane tune

2. SpeedAddict

Good luck on the dyno and let us know how it went. :2thumbs: :)

SpeedAddict

3. 598malibu

Good luck hope everything works out for you.

4. turbofalcon65

:chacha: keep us posted on the out come.

5. pdqwagon

Good luck tomorrow. You cant race a dyno but putting down a good number sure puts a smile on your face. :D

6. jim wingo

well, i didnt get the #'s i was hoping for, but i got what i thought was a safe tune for what it is, might tune it later on 110, more timing, boost
    i got 488 rwhp @ 6200, 431 torq @ 5500-not earth shattering, and total timing was 20 degs under full boost
    we logged a bunch of stuff, iat's after the i/c (100 degs), boost above the carb and in the intake (12.6/9.8) fuel pres, which rose perfect with boost, and the afr's, which were in the 11.6 to 11.8 range
    i was using a demon 750 blow thru (it was free, lol) based on some past exp., i ran 75/90 jets, .085 pvcr, .023/.070 a/b's, .035 squirter,
    and green pump cams-pretty much nailed that, but right at the hit i could watch it go real lean for an instant, could actually here it when it did it, so gonna work on that, maybe enlarge the sec squiter-a CSU carb would prob help, lol
    we pulled a plug after every pull, ck'ed for fuel, heat and timing
    i am using the msd6010 box, which triggers cam, crank, coils-the dyno operator knew how to set up the MAP program in the box, so we used that-i was just using the timing graph, and pretty much running on the edge, kind of suprised i didnt blow it up, i was prob making more hp, but not for long-all in all, was pretty happy with it, just a drive anywhere streetcar
    i think i was in a little belt slippage (8 rib conversion) that might have pushed me over 500, but the one belt drives everything, and i dont like a lot of tension on the p/s, alt
    back to the track next month for a rental, see what it does now

7. twin74s

What cube is the motor? Friend of mine made 512 on a stock 6.0L short block with L92 heads and a not turbo friendly cam. Sounds like your right in the neighbor hood. Let me know if you need any specs i've helped on a couple 600-1000hp LS turbo setups.

8. 59rat

What RPM did you take it to? If I may ask what kind of lift on the cam? I'm just curious I just dynoed my LS2 N/A and got 403rwhp. I only pulled it to 6400 with it able to go to 7200. It's a new motor and I am trying to be safe till I get a little time on it. Also what is the compression? 488 at the wheels on a street car is enough to get a guy in a lot of trouble.LOL Have fun. Rod

PS I also have no ideal how to use the map.I'm just locking on the rpm like I would the Impala.

9. jim wingo

i only took it to 6500 once, mainly because at 6200 i heard a hicup, it was the msd rev limiter, which appears to start working a couple hundred rpms b4 what you dial in, and that was verified-seemed like i was getting belt slip b4 that, but the graph showed a nice climb, and i was using the stock gm roller lifters($121 a set, lol) the cam is a 225/229, 580/590 on a 114+4, prob not the best for a s/c running a carb
    its a 366 ci (lq4) 9.2 comp, i added forged pistons/rods-i would have liked to use l92 heads, but had the other stuff, but those l92 ports sure look good
    when i ck'ed the boost, i actuall read it out of the blower, 12.6, and then in the manifold, 9.8-i guess the 3 lb loss wasnt to bad going thru the i/c and thru the carb-prob could have hit 500, seemed a couple degs timing was worth 12 hp

10. blazingfast

I took those $121 lifters to 7000 with no problems.We also seen 10 hp per degree of timing.What trans are u running?

11. jim wingo

im using a turbo 400, its an old school setup from the sixties, dual stall, 1300/3000, untill i build my 4l80e

12. twin74s

On the stock setup we took it to 6500 on 16 degrees of timing on pump. cam was right around .600 lift. Timing and boost make big power gains. We went to 20 degrees of timing on 116 adn 14 psi and made 620whp.

Ahh the old switch pitch? If you dont mind me asking what are you going to do with it when you put your 4l80e in? Also are you going to the manual valvebody on the 4l80?

13. jim wingo

i figured i left 50-60 rwhp on the table for now, but i dont race anymore, except track rental, and dont feel like blowing the engine untill i have another one ready, lol (a diff dyno would prob show more power, this was a superflow)
    not sure what i will do with the trans when i pull it, all depends on how the 4l80e does, prob. would take 5 mins. to sell it, their lining up already, lol
    im gonna use the computer to run the trans, holding off to see if i switch ti FI (bad word, not likely) wether i would use a stand alone computer-im gonna trial fit the throttle position switch on the carb, see how it all fits up, before deciding anything