1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Proper ARP stud torquing....

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Linc's 84 351, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Linc's 84 351

I ran across this today, I have never heard it before:

"After applying a film of moly assembly lube, the ARP studs are torqued down to 90 lbs.-ft. Once the fasteners are torqued, they must be loosened and re-torqued four more times. According to ARP, all fasteners should be torque cycled so they will produce a true and consistent clamping load throughout the life cycle of the fastener. The reasoning is that when a fastener is first torqued, there is more friction in the threads and this produces a false clamp load. After a few torque cycles, however, the clamp load becomes consistent."

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0207gmhtp_buick/

2. FMOS Racing

Yep, that's the way I do it.

I actually take the first couple tightenings up a few ft-lbs over what I'm actually going to be final torqueing too. ARP's torque specs are 75% of yield.