1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dual wastegates on single turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by EATSTANG, Dec 8, 2004.

1. EATSTANG

Hi again guys.
    YES i did try searching for info on this but found nothing :rolleyes:
    Is it feasable to run a pair of wastegates on a single turbo setup? I ask coz i dont mind going overkill with gates as its never a problem to have too much boost control afaik.. I was going to go with a 44mm tial, but now im thinking i should pay a little bit extra and maybe run a pair of the 38mm items which should even out perform a 46mm unit?
    Honestly, a single 40mm unit would prob be more than adequate for the setup im gonna run, but if i ever go crazy and get an even bigger turbo or something later on the extra control from the gates wont hurt.
    So is it a good idea? any negatives?

2. MORA

what is your proposed engine/turbo combo?

3. EATSTANG

at first, just looking to run a mp t70 on a worked 302..

4. BBRC

Depends

If your using A boost controller thier was situations where we didnt need the co2 to clamp the gate shut,when we put 2 gates on.The contoller seemed to react faster with dual gates also.
    Theres nothing wrong but let me tell you that tail 44 is A bad boy I think it will control better than the 46.I put together a 88 kit and we run one 44 it works awesome leaves the line at 6 lbs.
    Just sharing the info I gathered with you.
    thanks Chris

5. Superskwrl

I have 2 wastegates on my single setup, i was having a boost creep problem, which is what made me add a WG and seems to have resolved the problem

Good Luck

6. oil pan 4

Now theres some thing I never thought about.
    I can safely say no ones doing that over here.

7. EATSTANG

is it coz its a bad idea or coz most ppl just prefer to save space and buy one single big one ?

8. FMOS Racing

Space and money. A single large one requires only one set of flanges, one accordian or slip joint, and one gaste. Duals require two of everything, of course. Other than that, there's no other downside that I can think of.

9. Ackbar00

Got Pics of it?

10. Superskwrl

No, i am digital camera challenged

I have a cartech street kit, and there is 1 gate that is under the hood, that vents both banks, i'm using 2 deltagate's, and when using just one, I was having creep So the easiest thing for me to do, was to add a 2nd WG which is under the car and vents the passenger's side only, doing that and venting both WG's to atmosphere elimintated the creeping