1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dual wastegates, on crossover, best location?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rel3rd, Nov 13, 2020.

1. rel3rd

One 44mm wastegate is/was not controlling boost, so have 2 new ones coming.
    2000 TransAm
    Flipped truck manifolds, with crossover

What would be the best location for them?

Angled off of the crossover, outer side, near the manifold flange?

Angled off of the crossover, inner side, near the manifold flange?

Both at roughly 30 degree angle of crossover piping.

V band flanges welded directly to lower, outer part of crossover, maybe a foot before the T-4 flange merge? (most compact spot, basically at a 45 degree angle to flow)

w1.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg w4.jpg w5.jpg w6.jpg w7.jpg w8.jpg

2. Disney Lincoln

I like pictures 5&6 from what I can see there. Ideally you want a straight shot of airflow to the face of the valve so that when the gate opens there is not as much restriction to flowing past the valve. When it's 90* off teh pipe like you have now, you're asking the air to make a sudden change in direction without a path to guide it there.

3. rel3rd

The last 4 pics are the same locations, just 2 different camera angles. I "think" I have enough space to pit them on each corner, just dont want to do this a 3rd time, lol

4. Briansshop

Last 4 pics,on the outside of a bend. Would be even better to mount the gate on a pipe angled in the flow direction,instead of 90*.

[​IMG]#ad

rel3rd, FlatOut and B E N like this.
  5. FlatOut

I like the location where you have just the flange (not the socket). I would suggest adding a little pipe to that flange to create more of a "Y" on that bend. something similar to what Brian ^^^^^ has going on. The 90º is more of a pressure release than diverting flow so its not as efficient. when the valve opens you would a good flow of air to choose that path.

rel3rd likes this.
  6. rel3rd

I agree, I want to put at least a stubby straight section there, inline with the exhaust flow, sort of a "Y". Have to be pretty exact on my measuring, due to space, but I think it can be done.

Thanks for the replies!

wht73 likes this.