1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dual Walbro 255's

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by bunso, Feb 15, 2017.

1. bunso

For all of you running the dual Walbro's how do you have them wired up? Do you have them both wired up with a key on power source running continuous or do you have one running continuous and the other on a hobbs? I don't like the hobbs idea being that is just another variable to go wrong. I'd really like to wire them both on continuous but worried about the fuel overheating being I drive it on the street more than the track. Setup will be Drawn through the top of the tank -10 to rails and -8 from regulator to tank.

Yes I have used the search option but don't see any posts in regards to wiring. Thanks in advance!

2. Forcefed86

True Hobbs brand pressure switches are very reliable. No reason to have 2 pumps on all the time IMO. Heats up the fuel, and it's needless wear/tear. Anytime you run 2 or more pumps it's a liability. Never know if both of them are active, or if one is down on power a bit. Best alternative for reliability is to buy 1 pump that can handle your needs. AEM 380 or Walbro 450 comes to mind.

Walbro 255's aren't what I'd call a reliable pump anyway. I'd setup something like a denso supra pump for constant quiet duty. They setup the twin walbros to run in boost. YOu'll have tons of fuel and with the 255's only kicking on in boost the failure rate goes way down.

3. bunso

I'd much rather one single pump but trying to find one that will draw from the top of the tank is a bit of an issue. I dont want to sump the tank but it looks like its the most reliable option.

4. Forcefed86

Thought about a surge tank? I use the OEM tank and fuel pump to fill my surge tank. Then use an AEM380 to supply fuel to the engine. Essentially the same as a sump but easier to plumb and you can retain your factory tank and level sensors without installing a sump.

[​IMG]#ad

5. bunso

I havent put much thought into a surge tank but you now have my wheels turning... lol

6. 64nailhead

I've worked around sumping the tank and it has led to me running 2 255 Walbros. In hindsight, I should've sumped the tank and ran a single, especially as the HP goals grow. But as the build has grown, so have the add ons. We added the second pump due to running out of fuel at 370ish whp limit of one. The line and fuel rail sizing made it easier to add a 2nd pickup, line and run a second setup. And lastly, the Walbro 255's are dang cheap.

I do have both pumps running at the same time unless I pull the fuse for one of them. I don't believe I have fuel temp issues, but I have to admit that I've never really checked. We've had zero reliability issues thus far.