1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dual throttle bodys/single turbo/ best way to plumb?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 1BadV6ThirdGen, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 1BadV6ThirdGen

this is the intake setup i have to deal with a u can see theres not a whole lot of room so i was wondering if my idea would work

what i was thinking about doing is letting the intercoler piping come down the left hand side just like the stock air box.when i get to the firewall make it so it runs parallel to the firewall,for the first tb i was thinking a T connection and then run the pipe down to the second tb and put a 90* bend on it.

my feeling is that the air will mostly pass by the first tb and take the path of the tubing into the second tb causing one bank of cyls to see more air volume then the other side.

would my assumption be right ?
    any ideas on how to plumb this nicely ?
    as u can see there deff isnt much room under the hood

the turbo im using is a garrett 60-1 and has a 2.5 inch compressor outlet so i was going to use all 2.5 inch or 3 inch cold side plumbing

2. 1BadV6ThirdGen

this is how the factory connection is made
    [​IMG]#ad

if i can plug the breather holes reliably how would this piece work out , i dont plan to run much boost goal is to add about 100-125ish hp to the car so i figure about 9 psi from the 60-1 should do the trick

3. cat herder

My advice: kill it with fire. I hate those things. HATE. (sorry, I spent too many years in a Dodge dealership) :bah:

4. 1BadV6ThirdGen

id REALLY love to meet the engineer who designed this motor and kick him square in the nuts :chacha: i mean seriously spark plug wires under the upper plenum whos fucking idea was that. :bah: :bang: :bang: :bah: :doh:
    it took me an hour to get the upper plenum completly off the car to change the plugs and wires last week.

so do u just hate all dodges or just the 3.5 motor lol

5. cat herder

totally off-topic rant:
    (Mostly just the 3.5. You think it's bad tinkering with one, imagine having to do it against the clock when the flat rate pay is only about one-third of how long it actually takes to do anything.

I was there from '98-'02... recall after recall after recall... truck valley pans & self-igniting ignition switch harnesses, Neon airbox re-plumbing (I never really understood exactly what that one actually fixed), painting Avenger lower ball joints with liquid electrical tape (???)... "Hey guys look at me, I'm an engineer! Look how complicated I made this!!")

6. 1BadV6ThirdGen

lol well u would be the one to ask is there anything i need to look out for on this car thats a common problem 97 intrepid

7. cat herder

They like to eat timing chains; the chain setup is as overly-complex as everything else on the engine. I don't know what it takes to fix one when the chain goes, we never tried when I was there. In warranty they always got a new engine, out of warranty they went to the scrapyard.

8. 1BadV6ThirdGen

figures mines about 10k overdue for one i better stop putting it off

9. Big_Ed

what ya do is this, take that entire intake manifold off and flip it around, or just chunk it and build one from aluminum that will give you short runners and a single inlet.
    make it an inlet that would take a LARGE BORE throttle body, and then get a big stuff 3 or fast efi controller and ditch the stock stuff. Lose about everything slopar that you can..

Or better still, put the entire assembly into something like a dakota.. then you can have dual tubes running in without worry of running into anything..

10. 302f150

I'm kinda with Big Ed, better yet, ditch that engine all together. Has anyone boosted one of those and not had it blow up? I'd be wary of spending money to boost something like that. Any particular reason you want to turbo that car? How do you plan on tuning it if you can fabricate some way to make that setup work?

11. goatnipples2002

No offense I will NEVER own a dodge, plymouth, chrysler or late model jeep (older, "real" jeeps are the shit)

Go get a better platform,

12. 1BadV6ThirdGen

already tried to flip it ,it will flip but will require alot of work to do it right,mainly id have to weld up some new egr ports,figure out a new throttle cable,and extend a few sensor wires.its to much work as fliping it really didnt give me any extra room.

tuning im going to use a ms3 with ms3x board

ive thought about making a new intake and its still possible i may do that, but im trying to not get that involved with this project

the reason well i really dont have one other then because i can do it and i have a thing for modifying not so common stuff lol

after this im going to do a single or twin setup on the 92 chevy pickup i have 350 tpi conversion single s475 or twin 60-1's

13. goatnipples2002

On the up side...that motor makes a GREAT paper weight...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

14. 1BadV6ThirdGen

how were the motors that used the timing belts instead of chains, just found out 97 was the last year for the belt setup and thats what i have

15. Drac0nic

My take on it is get a 90 and a 135 bend. Cut the 90 so that it's TIGHT to the throttle body, it looks as if they use a "cobra" on the TBs so shit's gonna be tight. You may have to pi section instead. After that, take the 135, cut it so that it will stick on the other throttle body similarly to the 90. After that, use a hole saw or equiv and make a hole for the 90 to weld into. You may want to use a stub of pipe and a flex joint instead. End result would be something like this, bow to the ASCII skillz.

16. 1BadV6ThirdGen

ive found some options

#1 [​IMG]#ad

id love to get my hands on one of these but its damn near impossible but it deffinatly wouldnt take much to fab one of these up

17. cat herder

How much hood clearance is there? Any chance of running a pipe over the top of the intake, then down to a Y between the TBs? Don't forget about oval tubing, you might be able to squeeze it in there.

18. 68mustang

thats what she said :D

19. PrecisionTurboMustang

This is not any kind of max effort setup right? Build a log style charge pipe, don't worry about smooth transitions. I have seen worse on oem crap that runs fine.

Or, flip the manifold. What the hell does egr matter if you are going ms anyway? You crack me up man..don't want to lengthen a few wires but willing to go full stand alone. Did you slip and hit your head or something?

I'm all for different projects so I say jump in and get both feet wet. :2thumbs:

20. 1BadV6ThirdGen

no not at all a max affort setup would break lots of parts, hell even a thrown together setup im sure will make enough power to break alot of stuff i was just gpoing to do the log manifold but it looks like the 3.3 intake will bolt on.so im just going to do that and keep it simple.

as far as the sandalone i dont have any choice, no way to tune the stock obd1 ecm,and for a daily driver i dont want to rely on an fmu.

was worried about passing a visual inspection my plan was to keep the egr stuff hooked up but use real thin blockoff plates so even when the egr valve opens it dosent do anything since im going to leave the stock ecm in place for all the emission bs so the cel dosent come on

also why ive decided to do a rmt on this instead of a front mount liek i had originally planned