1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How Much Does Water Injection Drop Air Temp?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 14chp2c, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 14chp2c

I was wondering on how much would air temp drop if I just used straight water injection, not mixed with meth?

2. db1994

3. 302f150

Not much at all from what I've read. The water plays it's main part during the combustion process, it takes longer to vaporize so most.of the water injected ends up in the cylinder. Methanol evaporates almost immediately when injected, and is the main contributor to drops in iats.

4. john01374

Not to hijack the thread but how much of a drop would you expect to see from a water meth injection ?

5. CyanJaguar

it takes 4x the meth to get the cooling effect of plain old water

6. wantabe

7. wantabe

this chart has latent heat of vaporization for methanol... cannot find my one for water just at the minute

water absorbs the heat better than methanol, but is its not 4 times better / takes 4 times amount of meth to do same job...

8. LowBoostinT76

Im definitely not an expert on this subject, but even if it does take 4 times the meth to cool the same as water i would still rather spray in 4 times the meth because at least meth is fuel and can be burned where the water cannot and the space it displaces in the cylinder is wasted.
    Contact Rodney (AIS) he can help you figure what mixture to run to maximize your combo.

9. CyanJaguar

I would rather not depend on methanol injectors to supply my fuel for me and/or change my tune

btw, water is infinite octane... it doesnt burn
    and it pulls more heat than meth
    and it doesnt corrode your pump and lines

so 100% water gets my vote

10. wantabe

never heard of water being "infinite octane" before. not sure thats the right term ? yeep, it has a higher heat absorbtion
    water is only a bandaid for sub standard fuel , or race rules , or cost saving on higher octane fuel
    but it works well, when used correctly. really good actually
    methanol is not that bad, when its maintained correctly really.

11. CyanJaguar

I dont see water injection as a band aid at all. you could have the best fuel setup in the world and water would still add benefits or allow you to make more power.

12. AIS

Good question. Tell me what the combination is and I can tell you what sort of temperature drops you can expect.

Need to know the following info.

Engine
    type supercharger or turbocharger
    intercooled or non-intercooled
    level of boost
    type fluid being sprayed

Rodney

13. wantabe

cool, no doubt u have data on that ?

14. blown385

I sprayed a 70 / 30 mix when I ran a Procharger . It knocked apox 100º off the temps . I was running C-16 at the time and did not add any additional timing when spraying . The 100º drop in temps netted me 0 mph more in the 1/4 . So just spraying water to cool the air charge in my case added no additional HP .

Its a different story with the W/A . Its knocking an almost 100º off the temps ( from when it was A/A ) and it picked up 3mph without adding timing .

15. CyanJaguar

16. wantabe

17. CyanJaguar

im sorry I didnt know you needed my personal data to see that water injection allows the use of more boost and /or timing and /or compression, which makes for more power.
    I guess 100 years of data is not enough?

18. 302f150

My post was misinterpreted I think...I completely agree that it takes greater amounts of energy to vaporize a mole of water than a mole methanol. But when it comes to IAT's most of the water is NOT vaporized in the intake, it is vaporized in the cylinder, which leads to little or no drop in IAT's, combustion chamber temps will drop, and you get the stabilization that leads to less knock etc... When you inject methanol into the intake, it almost immediately vaporizes(because it takes so much less energy), meaning it cools the IAT's BEFORE they reach the cylinder, leading to a drop in temperature in the intake manifold.

19. CyanJaguar

i see what you are saying. but what is the advantage of cooling at the intake vs at the chamber. more dense air for more power at the same compression/boost/timing?

20. wantabe

i might have been misunderstood :)
    the usage off data, that comes off the internet , is at best, questionable at best....
    i reply to questions , with data recieved from my own customers / performance vehiclesss
    sorry bout that