1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can't control boost....... please take a look

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mnlx, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Mnlx

I cant control boost. I have a tial 44mm with a 9# spring (that cracks at about 9.5 psi), I have seen as high as 15 psi before I got out of it, so I dont know where it will peak. my waste gate placement isnt ideal, but I thought it would ok with it with the 44mm.

Heres the combo:
    stock 5.0 with the exception of 1.7 rr's, ported e7's, and lower intake.
    stock exh manifold feeding a log on pass side.
    BW T6 s465 with the 80mm turbine, and 1.10 A/R
    wastegate recirculated into a 4" full exhaust, with a bullet muffler.
    3" cold side, and ebay A/A
    Tial 44mm wastegate referenced from cold tubing between turbo, and A/A
    Ms 2 running on e85

not sure if the hot side pressure is low enough to not get enough flow out of a 44, its the placement. or if i'm just missing something.

I have a 7 psi spring I will try next, but wanted some opinions.

Thanks, Mark

Picture 112.jpg #ad

Picture 113.jpg #ad

Picture 116.jpg #ad

2. wildcardfox

Your wg placement actually is not in a bad location. The problem is more likey where you have attached it to the vacuum line. Try to move it to the vacuum line to the intake manifold and see if there is a difference.

3. Mnlx

thanks for the reply.
    yeah, the placement isnt too bad...... but the angle it comes off the log isnt ideal for flow. i've read where most like to hook the gate to a source that doesnt see vacuum (not that it should hurt it, I just did it that way so that the motor would only see the 9 psi minus whatever was lost through the tubing, and intercooler...... was hoping for 7-8) Ill try a different source though, and see how it affects it.

4. blown385

Put the lighter spring in it .

5. 10secgoal

Take the WG off and look at the valve stem you can see thru the discharge. You should be able to tell how far the valve is moving from the sooty area. Then push the valve open until it maxes out in a vise or something. See if you are getting full lift on the car when compared to those marks.

6. Mnlx

Thanks for the replies guys. I pulled a small red spring from a 38mm I had here, and installed that (should be 4.3 psi with the 44mm), and it held steady at 6 psi with no creep,and the gate referenced 4" from the compressor outlet.......... so all is good, but 6 psi is no fun compared to even the short pulls at 12-15 psi. i've got a little more tuning to do, and then I think one of the snowmobiles will be missing its MBC :D

7. blown385

:lh:

8. wildcardfox

He isn't lying. Boost is addictive. :chacha: