1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Oil Drain

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by De-Marko, Jul 1, 2011.

1. De-Marko

Hey All,

I have a friend who is buiding a D.I.Y. turbo kit on a '88 notch Mustang with a Precision 67mm. I've tried to get him to join on here but he won't for some reason. We've had a bit of a disagreement on placement of the oil drain location on the pan. From what I have read and seen is that you would run the drain line to a fiiting on the oil pan about an 1 1/2 or so down from the pan mating surface with a -10 AN line and is gravity drained. My friend wants to run the line to the front drain plug hole on the fox-body pan that way he doesn't have to drill anything. The reason I don't think it's right is because I don't think the turbo will drain properly and the oil may back up in the line maybe blowing a seal. :huh: Maybe I'm wrong....what do you guys think?

2. M&M Turbochargers

i have mine above the oil level in the pan so that the oil outlet is un obstructed, i say let him try it, then u can give him the i told u so lol

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

This is debatable, The ideal location is above to oil level in the pan. That being said, some turbo kit manufactuers have sold kits in the past that drained to the drain plug using a special bolt and banjo fitting. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

[​IMG]#ad

4. justin89tt

I put both of mine in the location that you are trying to get him to do. It seems like that's where everyone puts the drain. Tell him to take the pan off and do it right. I know it sucks to take the pan off. Some guys run it to the lower part of the timing cover too. That front drain plug seems too low and is pointing down a little,I would think it would create a back up.

5. De-Marko

Thanks for the replys. I'll talk to him some more about it, He's a little hard headed but maybe it'll be okay. I just know I wouldn't put it there.

6. stangman9897

If he does not want to pull the pan off to put the fitting on he could use the old punch, its the way procharger told you how to do it for the supercharger. If you do a search on here you will find it i have seen it posted before.

7. turbojosh

i think it would have draining problems i had my return setup were it had about a 3 inch dip in it were it went down and then back up and i had bad draining problems until i fixed it

8. spoolinranger

No way, would I put it in the front oil plug, how would that even drain correclty. you don't have to pull the pan its pretty simple to tap the pan while its in the car. I just done my buddies car with twin turbos. one tap on each side of the oil pan. good luck to your friend

9. De-Marko

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Like I said, I wouldn't do it.