1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dual intercoolers?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by half-fast, Feb 17, 2012.

1. half-fast

sounds smart/dumb to me but was thinking of trying an A/A and A/W intercooler setup in series for my next project

that way the air to air would be fine for running on the street and not having to worry about a pump for the air to water on the street
    and at the track the air to air would bleed off alot of heat prior to the air to water and make the ice last longer and have cooler intake temps. and i wouldnt think the small core of an air to water would add that much extra psi drop.

my only concern would maybe be too cool of intake temps if thats possible? and if that is that case could you maybe get away with running a higher compression ratio to in sense heat the air and fuel back up?

also took a couple vicodens because my back was hurting so maybe im just fucked up haha

2. stangman9897

Thats funny half way through it i thought whats he smoking tonite. :angel:

Need to let Dustin in on this one he's the intercooler man,but it does sound like a good idea.

3. PrecisionTurboMustang

Use dustin's a/w and you won't need anything else. He has a pretty cool setup that doesn't heatsoak on the street.

4. Turbohwagon

No reason to do such a thing, my w/a setup never heat soaks.

5. BlownShovel

X2

With A/A many have used 2 intercoolers due to fitment issues. When using A/W just put the tank where it fits, plumb and ice it using only 1

6. half-fast

it def sounded alot smarter too me last night haha but i dont have the funds to support a nice a/w from dustin

so i already have a 31x12x4 air to air china style for it but best case you would be getting it down to ambiant which would never happen so i thought shit throw a small china air to water after that and would cool it right down

7. Turbohwagon

If I were you, I would install your a/a setup and see what my inlet temps were. If they are too high, I would probably add a small meth injection kit. It would be easier and ALOT less plumbing.