1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dt466 Compounds

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by 48F1, Feb 20, 2023.

1. 48F1

I have an old 80s international DT466 medium duty I got for free. This is pretty much for my entertainment and to experiment with, but my question is, can I use the little stock AIreaserch "Garret" T04 in a compound setup? I want it to feed a bigger Garret turbo off a DT530.

2. Mnlx

Generically speaking, the stock turbo usually can be compounded, and work reasonably well. Look for an atmospheric turbo with roughly double the mass at the same pressure ratio.

3. bbi_turbos

It depends on the amount of boost your wanting to run.
    Generally, stock turbos are geared more towards flow instead of pressure. The manifold turbo in a compound setup needs to be the opposite. If it's not you end up overspeeding the turbo, but you have some headroom before that happens.

4. 48F1

Thanks for the replies. The day after posting this question, I had a few motivations in liquid form and slapped this thing together, and abandoned it for while. I have some free time so I figured I could try and continue the.. project.. So it's compounded. The primary is the stock DT466 T04 and the secondary is off a DT530 which according to replacment listing for a DT530 is a GT40. That is what the friend of mine said it was when he gave it to me years ago. So it's slapped together, and I started it for the first time today. I haven't driven it yet. Even though it was free, I dont wanna have the guilt of destroying everything. Stock rotary model 100 injection pump is still on the machine. I have the droop screw in the trash and the fuel screw turned up. I have a P pump for it, but Im not ready to sail that boat yet. What do you guys think about this setup? What would happen if I just ran it as is. The t04 doesn't have a waste gate, the secondary has a waste gate. According to my air compressor regulator the waste gate opens at 30 psi. Which I don't believe this rotary pump has enough fuel to reach that. Is there any gain currently on the setup? Lower exhaust Temps, more tourqe? Blown engine? I would be satisfied with lower exhaust Temps with a little snap in tourqe.

Snapchat-1712036622.jpg #ad

5. bbi_turbos

Will it run? Yes. Will it make boost? Also yes. Honestly it'll probably do pretty alright the way it is, you have 2 wrongs making a right.
    The first wrong is the manifold turbo is non-gated and the turbine wheel is oversized, which was done back then to control boost.
    Second wrong is the low pressure turbo is too small for its application. Like Mnlx, the lower pressure should be ~twice the size of the high pressure turbo.

What you basically have now is a sequential setup, the manifold turbo will spool, then the low pressure turbo will spool and it will pretty much take over. It should run pretty decent on your stock fueling. Once you throw a p pump and fuel at it, it will hit its limit pretty quick.

A gt35,37, or 38 under a gt47 would make some serious power. Both of those can be had pretty cheap also.