1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Timing question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jnhj, May 24, 2015.

1. jnhj

Does timing affect how ur car launches out of the hole?
    Found mine has been a pig out of the hole, but I was only a total of 28* timing.
    Now I hooked up a msd 6btm so I can retard the boost.
    Running a total of 34* timing & retarding one to one.
    Sure hope this makes a difference.... Thoughts?

Buick 350, twin t3/t4 turbos a/r .50, th350, 3:23 rear, spraying meth.

2. Rickracer

It will make a HUGE difference, :thumbsup:

3. TomR

You'll have to try it and see. Every engine combination is different. Many people have no concept of proper timing, and they think more advance is better. When it knocks with excessive advance, they just add fuel. That slows the burn down, and it reduces power.

What they should have done is left the mixture at 12-13, and then pulled timing out.

The burn rate of the mixture mostly determines optimum advance. Fastest burn is usually at 12-13 AFR, it burns slower when richer or leaner than optimum power mixture. You want peak cylinder pressure 20-30 degrees after TDC, and it takes the mixture a little time to burn, so the mixture has to be lit off earlier as piston speed increases or later as piston speed is slower.

The proper way to set timing is to get the mixture correct, so you have maximum power (which is probably just over 12:1 AFR with gasoline), and then time for maximum power without knock. This always means there is less advance with boost, and there is less advance at slower engine speeds.

4. Rickracer

Not necessarily always true, camshaft dynamics, (dynamic compression), and chamber design also come into play as well. The more perfect (homogenous) the mixture, the less advance is needed. Sometimes a little retard is needed at the top end.

5. TomR

It is always true. The only reason cam and chamber come into play is because they affect burn speed and the pressure. Not opening the throttle does the same thing. It reduces the pressure, and that slows the burn.

Fastest flame front or burn time occurs at optimum power mixture, down around 12-13 :1 It actually burns slower when richer or leaner. Relatively pure gasoline is typically about 13:1 for fastest flame front and most power. Ethanol has moved stoic up to 15 or higher.

6. Rickracer

No, this is the part I was referring to as not always: "so the mixture has to be lit off earlier as piston speed increases or later as piston speed is slower. " I totally agree about burn time being fastest (needing the least advance) at "best power" mixture.

7. sr47

Wonder where Twin Turbo Skylark is, he should get up on this since the OP has the same combo.

8. Twin Turbo Skylark

HI there....

Sean Buick here.

I gave you some info already so hopefully that will help...

I am going to the chassis dyno on June 20th and will share what I learn about the timing and the power it makes.

I think a big part of your leaving the line well will come down to the torque converter.

My car has a 3800 Stall converter and it leaves off the trans brake at 10 PSI of boost and although it is not yet street legal I was able to launch it a few times in my friends parking lot and it is VIOLENT. Even just easing into it from a roll its a rocketship once it gets over 3000 RPM.

9. actmobmar

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015