1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. OB Irish Chevelle71

Just put the engine back in.

Timmed it to 26 degrees advance. The floats on the carb (750-Q-Ban Quick Fuel) are slightly under half way on the glass on the primary and secondary floats. The idle screws on the air side is 2 turns out. The screw on the fuel side is 2.5 turns out. The vacume line is comming from the intake goin to the brakes, transmission and the distributor (msd pro-billet), and the bypass valve. the boost lines come from the carb to the meth pump in the trunk, the boost gauge, to the fuel pump. If i have anything hooked up wrong or backwards just let me know.

Whats goin on is a few things not normal.

1) when i start up everytime now. i have to keep the pedal to the floor and it will start up after like the 3rd or 4th time. When it doesnt not start it always back fires. When it wants to start i have to hit the pedal to the floor and let it rev up i guess to catch up i guess. Sometimes also it will idle then just konk out a few seconds or konk out when i put it into gear.

2) When its in park is wants to idle at 1500 some times a bit higher, when i hit the pedal to try to bring it down it will go a lil higher. The only way for me to bring the idle down is to put it in drive and it will come down to 400-500rpm. Then if i put it in park from there it will stay at low idle.

3) When im cruising say at about 25mph the transmission does not want to shift into over drive (TH350). i have to hit it a lil more so the transmission can shift down. (maybe Vac issue)

4) When it is in overdrive and i give it a lil gas, it wants to cut off and stalls like its starving. According to the a/f gauge it runs rich but when its bout to stall is goes way lean.

All of this happened after i put the engine back in after replacing the valvetrain. And im pretty stuck on it!!

Here the link to the car http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2910110

Heres the link to the new valvetrain. http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=453&sb=2

Danny OB

2. BlownShovel

Not even sure where to start.

I would check the basics, vacuum lines, gasket leaks etc
    Check timing, fuel pressure, carb

You may consider taking the carb hat off just to try to resolve the start/idle issues. You'll be able to see what is going on..as in the carb may be leaking/dripping gas with the pump on but car not running flooding it before you even start to crank it.

Other thoughts on the valvetrain change Did you adjust the lifters properly? I've seen some strange happenings with improper valve adjustment.

3. patl

350 transmission with OD??
    Valve adj+timing.

4. 10secgoal

Are QT carbs like Demons ? I think that float level might be too high.

5. OB Irish Chevelle71

sorry the transmission is not OD. it wont go into 3rd gear.. last gear. that carb is kinda liek the hollet 4150 series.. for blow threw applications. in another forum they also said that the floats are to high.. but the kicker is that with the other valvetrian it started up just fine with the floats higher. dont get me wrongill lower them if they have to be. yes i adjusted the lifters and valves properly. i did it just like comp cams recommended to do them. Iu guys have any more questions let me know thanx ill try those few things and get back at u
    Danny OB

6. 55Belair

To help with your idle, you might try running the dist vac advance from the spark port on the carb instead of the manifold. Some engines will not idle well with a lot of advance at idle.

7. OB Irish Chevelle71

Spark port on the carb? there is no vacume on the carb well no ports for any vac lines

8. SprayedSDime

Could be flooding it out at idle. My Quick Fuel 750 BAN made the motor happy 1/2 - 3/4 turn out on all 4 idle mixture screws. Get 16-18" vacuum that way with a cam having 243 duration at .050

9. unforgiven

When it doesn't start and backfires, does it backfire in the exhaust or sneeze through the carb?

10. OB Irish Chevelle71

it backfires one when im trying to start it up. takes a few times but when it does start i have to hold the pedal to the floor then keep it floored till it runs on its own. but when i floor it it does not peg out it still wants to bog down untill it catches up. 2 its backfiring in between the carb. i was replacing my boost lines and i saw black and i almost had a heart attack so.

Are there any other vacume ports besides the one on the intake? There are none on the carb... i have the transmission, brakes, bypass valve (procharger proflow) and pcv valve on one vacume port. thats a lot of splitting for one port. is it not?

11. unforgiven

Yes, you need to get some of those lines their own vacuum port. Mainly the PCV and the brake booster. Never run those on the same port. Trans and bypass valve should be okay on the same one.

12. OB Irish Chevelle71

ok ill do that.. but the thing is where do i get the other vacume port from. i dotn see one on the carb. only the one on the intake....

13. OB Irish Chevelle71

Ok well i got somwhere today. before work i was putting on the new steel braied lines. Then i turned the dist counter clockwise i dont knwo what the timmin is at now cause i didnt have a gun. but then it ran a lot better well at least it didnt backjfire starting up or bogg down big time when i het the pedal. also.. instead of having all the vacume lines comming out of the intake goin to the bypass valve,brakes, dist and transmission. now the vacume lines are from the intake to the brakes and transmission and the bypassvalve, pcv valve and distr dont have hoses to them. like i said it was just to get to work. the problem is where on earth do i find another vacume port from? i will give u guys the link to the intake and carb i have. maybe u can see something i dont... thanx

Wass lokking around.. prally dont have ports cause its not a vac secondary carb. its a mechanical secondary. damnnnn what is goin onn!!

Danny OB

Edlebrock air gap intake for 396-454

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy/rpm_air_gap-bb.shtml

Quickfuel 750-q-ban

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors_blow_thru.htm
    http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetor_features.htm
    http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/catalog_new_files/QFT Catalogue of 2007.pdf