1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Drill and tap comp housing

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by stangman9897, Sep 2, 2009.

1. stangman9897

I have two Garrett 60/48s can you drill and tap the comp housing for a fitting for waste gate signal instead of useing intake for waste gate signal. I see some turbos have one on them from the factory but the Garretts don't.?

2. TTAWD

Yes, get just above where the hose clamps on.
    This way you can clean any burrs off the inside of the hole.

3. stangman9897

Thank you sir :2thumbs:

4. zrg91gt

x2. That's what I did with my T-70. I also used teflon tape to seal it. No problems!

5. mnm99

Can you guys explain what the difference would be between below the carb and at the housing?

My thinking would be it would only be different when using a intercooler. The intercooler would make the pressure drop by the time it reached the carb. Say the gate opens at 5 PSI and connected to the compressor using a intercooler the carb sees like 3 PSI. The gate would look like it opens at 3 PSI if the gauge is hooked up at the carb. I'm by no means an expert here since I'm doing my first build, but I would think connecting to the manifold or below the carb it would be more accurate. Just my guess.....

6. 10secgoal

The carb is still a restriction, the maniflod pressure will always be lower that the charge tube.

7. mnm99

??? So where is the best place for the WG ?

8. BlownShovel

Wastegate opens due to Pressure
    BOV opens via Vacuum