1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Draw thru turbo setup smoking lots of oil.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by maddy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. maddy

I posted this on the junkyard forum that figured it should have been here.... here goes,
    I could really use some help with a draw-though turbo that I've DIYed into my 79' MG midget. I first had a Mitsubishi turbo going well until it started smoking 'bad'. After the work I found out that I should have used a turbo that I could rebuild with a carbon seal. I did just that with a Garrett turbo, ran it down a county road and it smokes just as bad again. I rebuilt the turbo as directed by a turbo guy on the net making sure that the balance/position of the wheels is the same, other then that it seems like a straight forward job. There is no oil regulation going to the turbo, but I figure it's built into the turbo. The Garrett turbo came of a 96ish Mitsubishi Talon.
    Oh yeah, I was running the car all summer after the first turbo setup with no issues. Fresh rebuild on the engine.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit; I looked in the rebuild kit and found a small ring (1/2" ID 1/32" thick both ways) I thought it was for a different application as some other parts which were just differing sizes.

2. Nisan_Catron

I think there are special turbos to use on a draw through setup, MOST are not built as draw through setups, when the throttles are closed the intake vacuum sucks oil past the seals.....

3. maddy

I found that the carbon seal is broke. Getting a new one.