1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Downside to open pcv valve

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 1lowtoy, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 1lowtoy

Is the only down side to venting the pcv valve out in the open the smell? I have seen many treads on if people think you should or shouldn't do it but I'm looking for any side affects. I have no problem with the smell if any.

2. M&M Turbochargers

iirc the pvc is to vent the block via vacuum , to help with condensation in the block

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

X2. Engine life went up when PVCs were first introduced. They keep water and combustion by-products from building up in the oil. Personally I am not a fan of simply venting to atmosphere. Air pollution issues aside (that's a whole different debate that people can get rile about), I don't relish the idea of giving water an easy path to condense in the engine as it cools down.

4. Jeremy

oops double post.

5. Jeremy

Everyone has a different preference and you can talk all day about pros and cons from one guy to the next. I have been running open systems with breathers for the past 15 years and have nothing negative to report, its cheap and easy for me

My thoughts, for a boosted motor all that pressure does a really good job at keeping the rings sealed so any blowby I want to be able to easily escape. On a bigger displacement na motor, there are proven benefits to vacuum in the crankcase for sure.