1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo mounting question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by roadracer ron, Oct 4, 2009.

1. roadracer ron

I'm building a brand new car with a 351w motor ( which will be mounted on solid mounts ) , and I'll be using stainless steel exhaust .... I've heard that the stainless has a tendency to crack and such... And since my turbo ( Garrett 4202R ) weighs in around 45 pounds I don't really feel safe about mounting it on the exhaust header flange.... And since I am a newb on here and this is my first turbo install , what do you guys think about building a solid bracket off of the frame and supporting the weight of the turbo on that ?
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. BlownShovel

I am a firm believer in brackets holding the turbo and not the headers themselves. I try to mount them off of the engine as depending on the mounts there still can be vibration or slight movements that will wear on things over time.

3. roadracer ron

Hmmmmmm ?? I hadn't thought of mounting on the motor...... Thanks for the input !! :D

4. BlownShovel

np.. I'm really looking forward to your project/build :2thumbs:

5. brianj5600

There are a lot of cars on here with solid mounts and turbo mounted to the frame. I mounted mine off the head. There are quite a few mounted to the motor also. What car is it going in?

Flange

[​IMG]#ad

Mount

[​IMG]#ad

Installed

[​IMG]#ad

6. roadracer ron

I like the idea of mounting on the head , at least it will move in conjuction with the motor / headers...!! :2thumbs:
    It will be going in a FFR MKIII ('65 A/C Cobra replica) .... Thanks for the pics !! :cheers:
    Ron